02

Nick

   Ellie grabbed my arm tightly as we weaved through the halls. This group of college kids always messed with us. Unfortunately, Westville shares a campus with Ashland University. "Bryant and Paul aren't here today, kiddies. If that's who you're hiding from." I'd recognize that voice from anywhere. Carlos Santiago was standing there with Rick Clay. They're both tall, muscular, and obnoxious.

   Atleast Bryant and Paul weren't with them. Ellie stepped in front of me. "What's your problem?" She snapped at Carlos, he was tan and a little more broad than Rick, but he was shorter, not by much though. Carlos shrugged. "I'm bored and you two are easy targets."

    That was true. Ellie and I were different, always have been, always will be. Rick shoved her out of the way and elbowed me so I fell onto the wet grass. "Skinny white boy over here thinks he's so cool." Carlos snickered. "Hey!" Ellie started to get back up but Nick held her in a tight embrace. It was sick that they got enjoyment from picking on us. Ellie tried to kick the blonde but he didn't seem affected by it.

   Carlos grabbed my shirt by the collar. He breathed harshly. As he raised his fist in the air, prepared to punch me, a teacher stepped out. Nick and Carlos released Ellie and I. Mr. Watson started shouting, "get to class! All of you are about to be late! My word! Young man why are your pants soaked?" Nick and Carlos had run off to their college class. Ellie and I were left soaking wet.

   Mr. Watson shook his head at us. "Can I go and call my mom?" Ellie asked politely. "Haven't you two caused enough trouble? Absolutely not young lady, you will go to class and not cause any more trouble for the day!"

    "Let her call her mom." I said. "Please, I need a change of clothes-" Ellie begged.

    "Are you purposely being defiant? That's a detention for you Mr. Laws. I suggest you go to class, Ellie, before you are issued one also." Ellie scurried to her class, slipping a bit since her shoes and pants were soaked in muddy water.

   Mr. Watson is the biggest douc-

   "Don't you have somewhere to be, Nicholas?" I nodded and gathered myself the best I could before trudging to my first class of the day, physics. I hate physics. Why does this do that? Why can't this move like that? How does this make that work? Why do I care?

   It was uncomfortable and cold. My hair had fallen in my face and I could feel the mud starting to dry and set in. It would be nearly impossible to remove later. Kids stared at me throughout the day and whispered different things about me.

   Ellie and I met up at lunch and sat by our usual group of people. Chad, the football player, Lindsey the cheerleader, Derrick the school smart kid, and Jeff, the comdian. All of us are really weird, somehow our strange group of friends works.

   "What happened to you two?" Lindsey scoffed, picking at her salad. Ellie started explaining the story to her and her expression softened. "Looks like you two went through my mom's wash after taco night!" Jeff slapped his knee and laughed loudly, causing some people to stare at him.

    "Um, ew!" Lindsey gagged. "Guys they have nachos today!" Chad cheered happily.  "Want some?" He offered Lindsey a chip that was coated in several strong scented meaty substances. "I'm on a diet, low carbs, low cal, low-" He shoved the chip in her mouth while she was explaining her new diet. "Ooh you got served!" Jeff smirked as he made another cheesy joke. Lindsey rolled her eyes.

    Lunch carried on with their crazy bickering. Derrick said very little, but when he did speak it was to make a snide remark about our habits. "Mud, looks more like he took a dive in the toilet!" Someone shouted across the cafeteria. Ellie heard too. She shook her head. "Ignore it." She warned.

   "Hey faggot!" The voice got louder as a guy dressed in football uniform came out of nowhere and dumped a tray of cold soup and mashpotatoes all over my head. I got to my feet quickly.

    "Hey!" Chad yelled at him. The guy sneered, "hey yourself, you're the one hanging out with fag boy, and girl wonder." He gestured to Ellie and I. Chad suddenly slammed the bully into a wall. "What did you just say? Wanna repeat that? Huh, Jared? Go on, say it to my face!"

   People started gathering around, just like a scene from a movie. Someone yelled fight and a whole chorus of "fight fight fight!" could be heard echoing throughout the halls.

    I hoped Chad wouldn't hit him. He couldn't afford another detention, not for me. Ellie didn't seem phased by the fight that was about to take place. She stirred her smoothy sadly and kept her gaze down.

    CRACK!

   Suddenly the bully was on the ground holding his nose. It started gushing blood. A whole squad of teachers and the nurse were making their way into the center of the cafeteria to resolve the fight.

   Mr. Watson met my eyes. I glanced down as he stalked over. "Did you have something to do with this fight, Laws?"

   Chad was being escorted out by a teacher as he mouthed, "No! No!" Mr. Watson hated me and Chad knew it. "Um, no sir. Ellie and I were just eating our lunch." He gave a suspicious look at the mud covered girl and sighed as he started walking away.

    As the bell rung to end lunch a familiar clichè saying came to mind;

     Saved by the bell.

VOTE AND COMMENT