Episode 4: Permanent Retirement

En başından başla

Vera hugs Ben and pinches his cheeks "Ow..." Ben whines "Come in, I can't wait to chew the fat with all of you!" Vera says happily, we follow her inside.

When we get inside, Gwen and I look around in awe and Ben sniffs "Ugh. Why do old people's houses smell like somebody's cooking socks or something?" Ben asks.

~

"Oh Vera, this is delicious. Now, what are these brown chunks in the mold?" Max asks "Pork chops. And the white parts are cauliflower." Vera tells us. I mentally gag. Gwen, Ben, and I share a glance "So Ben, what have you been doing this summer?" Vera asks.

"Dealing with alien life forms." Ben states, I laugh quietly at his bluntness. "Oh, you. And what about you and Y/N?" Vera asks "What about us?" I ask, poking the jello. Ben and I glance at each other "I remember how inseparable you two are. Aw, you were so cute! One day, I had picked Ben up and took him for a ride, he cried the whole time because you weren't with him. It then I knew how much he loved you~"

Ben and I both tense and both our cheeks go bright red "I need to go to the bathroom." I say quickly, rushing to the bathroom.

"She meant it as a friend! As a friend, Y/N L/N!" I whisper, staring at myself in the mirror. Although, my heart did flutter when Vera said that....I don't want to ruin the friendship we already have. Beside, Vera doesn't know how Ben really feels. I sigh, splashing water in my face. "Maybe if I stay here long enough...they'll forget I came along this summer and leave me here. Or I guess I could teleport home."

"Awwww, don't do that it'll be no fun without you."

My eyes widen as Ghost Freak phases through the mirror "Benji? Really, while I'm in the bathroom?" I ask with a nervous laugh. Ben shrugs "Had to make sure you weren't gonna freak out on me. You don't really believe Aunt Vera, do you?" Ben asks "Nope! Of course not," I lie quickly "I know you wouldn't like me."

"LIAR!"

Ben tenses for a second and we're quiet....we've never been this awkward with each other....

"Let's go do something fun." Ben finally says, grabbing my arm and phasing through the walls. I cringe at the brightness "There has to be something fun to do around here." Ben mutters as we float in the air. My eyes spark in excitement at the sight of a golf cart "You thinking what I'm thinking?" I ask. Ben turns and hums "Yep."

~

"Man, driving is so easy." I laugh proudly, pushing on the pedals. Ben keeps a head on top of my head as we ride. Old people stare at us and I wave nervously "They can't see us. We're invisible." Ben tells me "Oh, I bet we look weird." I laugh. Ben laughs too, but we stop and sniff the air "Apple pie?" I mumble

Ben puts his hand on the steering wheel and turns in the direction of the smell. We get out the golf cart and walk towards a windowsill "Mm, apple pie." Ben hums out, reaching for it. "Benji, look." I whisper, pointing to the lady. She was swat a fly, but then she jumped on the ceiling and eat it.

I gasp "Ew! No way. Ninja old people." Ben says. The lady jumps off the ceiling and does that weird neck roll thing the guy from before did....

Ben and I turn to see said guy swerving in fear at the sprinkler that was going off "Odd..." I say, walking ahead of Ben a little "Let's go see what Mr. Friendly is up to." Ben flies above me and pulls me into the air.