Chapter 26: Not Over You

Start from the beginning

Breathing out of my mouth, i slowly made my way over to my mom and Carly, who were standing on the other end of the kitchen.

I picked my way around everyone, trying not to bump into anyone for fear that their smelly odor would rub off on me.

When i passed Micah though, he didn't appear to smell. I walked by him more slowly, but sped up to reach my mom and Carly.

The three of us passed around cups of lemonade and coke, then everyone except Micah went home.

Micah stood awkwardly in the middle of the kitchen with his hands in his pockets of his board shorts, which he always wore instead of actual pants.

He frowned at me slightly, then motioned for me to go outside with him.

We walked along the long driveway until we were about half way to the road.

Micah stopped me and grabbed my hand. "Jordan..." he paused. "I know you're still getting over Ross Lynch, and i know he broke your heart. But... If i had you, i would never hurt you physically or mentally. What I'm saying is..." he stopped and kind of flopped around his hand that wasnt holding mine a bit.

Then he leaned in and pressed his lips against mine.

I expected to feel butterflies like i had always felt with Ross, or tingling, or at least my heart feeling whole again.

But i didn't. "Maybe if i try harder," i thought.

I put my hands around Micah's neck and pulled myself closer to him.

I still didn't feel anything.

No. No. I had to love Micah. Micah. No. No. I tried harder, but still: nothing.

Slowly our eyes opened and i looked into his eyes.

"How could you?" someone whispered loudly from behind me.

I spun around to be face to face with someone who i had hoped that i would never see again. Or was it more like, hoped to spend the rest of my life with?

I choked. "Ross," i breathed.

Hurt shone in his eyes. "I thought you loved me."

Anger boiled up inside of me. "You? Love? Thought? Me? What?! Ross, you broke my HEART! Why did you think i wouldnt move on? I'd just come crawling back to you?!"

"No," he whispered. "No... Never. I never thought that. I just hoped..." a tear slid down his cheek as he looked down.

I felt my heart shatter again.

Why should i be feeling pity towards him? He broke my heart! He didn't care about me!

"Yes he does," a little voice said in the back of my mind. "Yes he does." it started echoing in my head. I clutched at my head and fell to the ground.

Micah and ross both caught me at the same time, but i wriggled out of their grip, letting myself fall to the ground.

I rolled over and put my forehead on the backs of my hands to keep it from getting scratched, then sobs shook my body.

Why? Why now?

I woke up the next morning in my bed, a shaft of bright light streaming in through my window.

Maybe it had all been a dream! An awful dream! Micah had never kissed me, I'd never not felt anything, and Ross had never shown up!

With this in mind i pranced happily downstairs.

When i turned the corner into the living room, i found pandemonium.

"What do you not understand about the phrase 'stay away from her'?!" Brandon shouted. "You hurt her!! You don't love her! You should've just stayed away!!"