EIGHT.

mr loverman - ricky montgomery

◁ II ▷  

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

THANKS TO THE survey corps and the garrison engineers' quick response, wall rose had once against repelled against the titans. it took an entire day to eradicate the titans from trost district which was made easier with the fixed cannons on the wall. high explosive shells annihilated the majority of titans swarming the wall and the survey corps eliminated the few that remained.

on the downside, 207 soldiers were killed or missing in action and 897 soldiers were injured. although repelling the titans for the first time in history was a noteworthy feat, simply far too many lives had been lost for the celebration to be allowed. 

irene tightened the mask around her face, looking into her hands before she looked at her surroundings. the newly graduated trainees were assigned to clean up the corpses and to identify them. it was honestly a horrifying job for irene. seeing bloodstains on the pavements, demolished buildings, and soldiers who were grieving over their friends and loved ones.

her scarlet eyes caught sight of a body, its head resting against the wall of a building. she felt the air get knocked out of her lungs. there was a single drop of grief that welled up in the corner of her eye.

"tch - watch where you're going," scoffed jean, bumping into irene's figure. he furrowed his brow, noticing the unreadable expression on her face. his eyes followed the direction of what she was staring at. his own pair of brown eyes widened.

"is that you....marco?" the male's voice faltered as he walked closer to marco. The remaining fraction that was visible of his face was extremely pale, emphasizing the freckles on his once bright face even more. the right side of his body was missing, dried blood pooling around him. jean's hands trembled as he stared at marco, eyes glossing up at the sight of his dead best friend.

"recruits, do you know his name?" a female nurse walked up to the two, a board in her hands.

"i don't believe it... marco, what happened?" jean turned away, "someone...did someone see his last moments?" there were no words that could describe the feeling of empathy and sorrow irene felt for jean at that moment.

"what's his name?" the nurse repeated.

noticing jean's behavior, irene answered in his place, "belonging to the hundred and fourth training corps, leader of the nineteenth squat, marco bodt."

irene could only gaze at jean as he continued staring at marco's dead body. his hands were still trembling and his body was shivering. she could see the tears that welled up in his brown eyes as he tried to blink them back. she placed a hand on his shoulder as a way to comfort him.