Chapter 45: Laurel Elysium

Start from the beginning

She stood up, went around the room, grabbed her tools off the shelves, and packed them into a box.

Eubulous followed her around like a clingy dog.

"But—"

"No buts." She turned around and placed a finger on his lips. "Don't forget to give Julius his medicine before dinner if I don't make it back in time. Augustus took a week off from the Alchemy Institute, so once he arrives at the manor, make sure he's eating and resting, and not working. Septimus is still on that field trip with the Imperial Magician, so don't worry about him. Octavie and Novembrie are spending the day in the garden and working on their recital pieces for midsummer. I am requiring you and Julius to go and join them in the afternoon. The two of you need some sun. It's summer, but both of you are always so pasty."

She gave him a pat on the cheek and turned back to the box, slamming it shut and giving her husband a patient smile.

Eubulous was thoroughly defeated.

She called me pasty...

He wept internally and was determined to get a tan by autumn.

He was already aware of the list of tasks for the day, but he also hoped to spend some time with his wife.

Ever since Gareth and Vespera stopped coming to the palace—a family emergency of some sort, according to the Platus, who personally delivered the message—he had been working and sleeping in the palace for several days.

Sweet mercies upon him, he and Platus came to a compromise and Eubulous was given freedom for the next forty-eight hours.

Playing a round of rock-paper-scissors with the Emperor, in front of the entire governmental staff, was surprisingly not the lowest point in Eubulous' life.

He won, and that was all that mattered.

—But dreams shattered like glass being thrown at the speed of Vespera's horseriding.

Laurel was needed elsewhere and despite her promises, Eubulous knew she couldn't control how long an emergency would take.

He worried about Gareth and Vespera's situation and had an inkling of how dire their emergency was if they needed his wife's expertise, but could the timing be any worse?

Gareth was down for the count at the busiest time of the season and there were so many administrative duties that needed to be done.

Eubulous would be up to his eyeballs in paperwork once he went back to the palace, and Platus was currently drowning in it after he lost against him in rock-paper-scissors.

"Alright, Euby. I'm heading off."

Laurel stood in front of him with a cheerful smile, her dainty hands curled around the handle of her toolbox.

Eubulous nodded sadly.

"Oh!" she stopped just as she was about to leave the room. "I forgot about Deci."

"He's taking classes until noon and then get's garden time," Eubulous instinctively responded.

His youngest child still hadn't entered the Academy, so his schedule was relatively consistent.

Children of the aristocracy typically went to the Imperial Primary School, but Eubulous felt more comfortable with his children being tutored at home during their primary education.

In exchange for private tutoring, however, the summer holidays did not apply to his youngest. Decius continued learning throughout the year at his own pace until he was old enough for the Academy.