Chapter Thirty-Six

Spencer types away at the computer as she processes the information that comes through from Tony's HUD in his suit. It's working pretty well for a second attempt. There is already room for improvement and she has her notes. Spencer glances at the display showing altitude, power, vital signs. And on the other screen, the feed from the camera showing a jiggling and spinning horizon.

"It's like watching a really bad horror flick" She points out teasingly. The shaky camera work reminiscent of those over the shoulder camera movies. It's a little disorientating.

"I'm working on it, okay?" Tony counter as he tries to level out, trying to actually fly his suit.

.........

Tony tucks his arms and legs tight, thrusts his chest, eventually finding the Delta Pose. And suddenly he's in control. He pulls a few turns and swishes along the ribbon of headlights on the Pacific Coast Highway. Then he carves a turn out over the ocean, dives. Whooping like a kid on a coaster. The waves flash by fifty feet below and returning to shore. He arcs into a high-performance climb, passing the Santa Monica Pier and sees a kid on the Ferris wheel spotting him. Tony shoots out and keeps ascending; a steel Icarus reaching for the heavens.

.............

Spencer frowns as her computer starts beeping away. She brings up the display and glances at the camera feed. Something is wrong.

"Tony" She starts as she types trying to figure out the data. "Tony, you're losing power" She warns.

"Power: fifteen per cent" Jarvis adds. "Recommend you descend and re-charge, Sir" But Tony isn't listening.

"Tony" Spencer scolds a little.

"Acknowledge, Mr Stark..." Jarvis tries.

...............

Tony, intoxicated, as the moon beckons, impossibly bright, flies upwards still.

"Power at five per cent. Threshold breached..." Jarvis warns and then everything inside of the suit goes dark. Tony is yanked from his reverie. His display flashes: 'System Shut-Down'.

"Uhh, Jarvis?" Tony asks, now aware that he seems to be alone. "Spencer?" He tries. The glow has gone from his chest, the suit a dead hull. The

world starts to pinwheel outside. Tony plummets back to Earth in a free fall. Piercing the clouds, surging towards the L.A. Grid. "STATUS, STATUS! REBOOT...." The heads-up display flickers back to life, the suit's power returns.

"Temporary power restored. Descend immediately." Jarvis warns him. Tony works with the boosters, to get the suit back under control.

"Jarvis, I think we need to chat about, uh, Directive Four" Tony scolds.

"May I remind you, the suit feeds off the same power source as your life-support. A zero-drain of RT will likely kill you."

"You're a downer, Jarvis. But I appreciate the heads-up." Tony points out, whilst flippant, he does get it. No chest piece. No heart. No life. No family. Tony begins to descend towards his estate grounds. He attempts an elegant landing stance, but can't quite hold it.

"Shall I take over?" Jarvis asks.

"No, I got it, I got it..." Tony assures him and then falls straight through the roof of his mansion. He plunges through the foyer ceiling...And crashes through the ceiling of his garage, causing Spencer to jump from her seat. She takes cover under the desk, peering over the top to watch as Tony lands on his Shelby Cobra, smashing it. "Perfect. Let's do some upgrades." Tony states as he pushes himself out of the small crater, turning to find Spencer right behind him. Spencer pushes at his shoulder, an angry little frown on her face but she's upset. He takes her arms and pulls her closer to him, wrapping his arms around her to comfort her. She curls into his chest and lets out a breath.

"Don't ever ignore me again" She scolds him. "I thought..."

"I'm okay" He assures her, poking her nose softly before he cups her cheek. "Want to order take out?" He asks, knowing it is going to be a long night. She nods and smiles softly at him. The more work they do on the suit, the safer it will be. He just scared her for a moment there. With everything else that has been going on. She just has a feeling something bad is going to happen, so of course, every little thing is going to bother her.

............

Tony leans back against Spencer's back as he looks over her notes on the suit, Spencer herself eats from a Chinese takeaway pot. Trinity had woken during the night and now sleeps with her head in Tony's lap, his fingers softly stroking at her hair. But he knows he is going to look back on these moments one day. These little moments with his wife and daughter, with all of his children.

"Tony" Spencer starts, he closes his eyes because he knows a real scolding is coming. "If the suit loses power, so does your heart" She whispers, he nods.

"Yeah" He agrees and turns his head. "Sorry" He adds, she nods.

"Yep," She takes a breath and then lets it out. "Thought it was my turn next" She adds, he smirks and nods.

"Yeah, guess the rule book is all up in the air now, huh?" She hums and leans back against his back. "A few issues:" He changes the subject. "Main transducer felt sluggish at plus forty altitude. Same goes for hull pressurization. I'm thinking icing might be a factor"

"The suit isn't tested for high altitude" She counters. "You're expending eight per cent power just heating and pressurizing" He hums and nods.

"Re-configure using the gold-titanium alloy from the Seraphim Tactical Satellite. It should ensure fuselage integrity to 50 thousand feet, while maintaining power-to-weight ratio" He makes a note in her little notebook and she takes it off him as she stands and moves to the computer. Tony, careful of Trinity, stands with her, tucking her into his side.

"Shall I render, utilizing proposed specifications?" Jarvis asks as Spencer types in the changes and adjustments for the suit.

"Wow me" Tony teases as he moves to her side. On the centre screen, the Mark III prototype designed is being altered by Jarvis. The final product appears: an all-gold version of the Mark III. Tony and Spencer regard it, Spencer cocks her head as Tony hums tapping his chin. "Bit ostentatious, don't you think?" He looks over at a framed photo on his desk, a wedding photo. He picks up the photo. Him and Spencer stood side by side under the floral arch. The red and yellow flowers. Even the red and gold elephant around her neck. "Add a little red, would you?" Tony asks as he sets the photo down, Spencer smiles to herself. Tony touches the back of her neck as he is distracted by the TV. Local entertainment Reporter standing outside Disney Hall. He grabs a remote, turns it up.

"Tonight's Red-Hot Red Carpet is here at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, where Tony Stark's third annual benefit for the Firefighter Family Fund has become the go-to charity gala on L.A.'s high-society calendar. But this great cause is only part of the story...." The lab begins springing alive as Jarvis preps the various machinery. Tony turns to Spencer.

"Aren't we supposed to be there?" He asks her, she smirks and nods.

"Yeah, we were invited....and I think your exact words were...." She then blows a raspberry and he smirks because that sounds like something he would say. She then sighs and shakes her head. "I think I can dig out a dress" She offers, he kisses her and then winks as he pulls back.