Chapter 1

1,195 words

Kageyama pov

I walk past through the halls going to volleyball practise when something catches my eye. A poster. I take a closer look and I realize it’s saying something about the school opening dorms close by for people who live far from the school. It says anyone can sign up for a cost of course. You’d also be sharing a dorm room with someone in your year. It’s opening next week.

I sip on my milk and think. That wouldn't be so bad. Lately all I hear in my house is constant arguing from my parents. It would be nice to have a break, but sharing a room? That would be bad. I’ll have to ask them about it.

I’ve already taken too long. I hurry up and run the rest of the way to the court. When I get there I see Hinata getting ready and I do the same as him.

Time skip after practise

We usually go to the local store after practise to get something to eat but I couldn't stop thinking about the dorms so I decided to get home earlier to talk to my parents. It’s about a 20 minute walk so I could count it as being too far away from the school, right? 

When I get home i’m actually surprised. I can’t hear arguing from outside. I walk in and see my mom sitting on the counter.

“Hi mom.” I say. She barely looks up from the newspaper she's reading but gives me a nod.

“Where’s dad?”

“He had to leave. He should be back this evening” she says. I don’t know if she notices but it is this evening. I thought for a second that everything was finally ok and that I wouldn’t have to think about leaving.

“Mom, I was thinking. The school is going to be opening up dorms next week and I was thinking I could sign up?” She finally looks up.

I want her to say no. I want her to ask why. I want to tell her why. I want to feel wanted.

But instead she says, “Oh. That wouldn’t be so bad y’know. Ok, if you want to.”

“Yeah..” I mumble before I walk up to my room forgetting to get food. I’ll just get some later.

When I get to my room I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. I take it out and see that its that dumb groupchat I was added to with the rest of the team. I’m about to put it away when I see what they're actually talking about. The dorms.

Tanaka
Hey, guys did ya see those posters about the dorms???

Suga
Yes why?

Daichi
I think it’s a great idea!

Tanaka
Do u think if I sign up I could be partners with Kyoko!?!

Nishinoya
No way! I’m gonna be her partner.

Tsukishima
No idiots. You only get matched with the same gender.

Tanaka
Whaaaattt whyyyyyy

Daichi
Because of people like you.

Hinata
Is anyone here doing it?

Suga
Nope

Daichi
No

Yamaguchi
no..

Tanaka
Nah. Not if Kyokos not

Nishinoya
Nope!

Asahi
no

Should I tell them? Why would I, it’s none of their business. I decide to switch my phone off after that. I usually don’t reply so they won't think it’s anything different. I finish doing some homework and then check the time. It’s nearly 8pm. I should go down and get some food now.

I walk down the stairs when I hear the door open. My dad.

“Hi dad.” He looks up.

“Hi Tobio. Getting some food?”

“Yep” He walks past my mom not looking at her and she does the same and goes to the kitchen. I follow.

I’d say I’m a bit closer to my dad then my mom but I still don’t think it’s as close as parents should be with their children. We would never joke or ask each other about our day. We never eat food together, just at different times in different rooms. Plus they’re always fighting.

“Hey dad. I think I’m going to be signing up for a dorm place close to my school. It starts next week.”

“Oh ok. How long will you be staying there?” At least it’s more than what mom asked.

“Umh, probably until the end of the school year.”

“Ah ok. That should be nice right?”

“Yeah..” I say, putting some toast on.

“We can still talk and maybe meet up on the weekends now and again?”

Now that surprises me. He's allways too busy with work. He probably realises why I want to leave.

“Yeah, all right..” The toast pops.

Time skip to moving day

I’m at practise and we’re practising receives. I just finished my go so I head to the bench. My phone buzzes and I take it out. It’s an email for the dorms. It says i’m in room 12.

“Wait dude, you're moving into the dorms?!” Tanaka says next to me. I quickly put my phone away. It’s not like it’s a secret or anything, I just didn’t tell anyone. I didn’t want to explain to anyone why I was moving. It’s none of their business.

“Quit looking at my phone, moron.” He ignores my comment.

“Room 12 huh.”

“Is there something wrong with that?”

“Huh? No! It’s just.. Haven't you heard?”

“Umh.. No?”

“Well apparently” He leans in closer like he’s about to tell me a big secret. I lean away. “Someone really didn’t want to sign up and it caused a lot of chaos. There in room 12.”

“You always over exaggerate stuff. And it wasnt me so it’s probably my roommate. How do you know this anyway?”

“I have my ways dude! Hey did you know Hin-”

“Tanaka your up!” Daichi calls over him.

“Oh you heard the man. Gotta go.”

What was he about to say? Whatever, I don’t care.

After practise I head home to get my suitcase. I kinda feel excited y'know. It’s weird. I don't like it..

Do I?

My parents say bye to me individually and my dad drives me there. My dad says bye again and drives away. Here we go. Why am I so curious to know who my roommate is? It's probably because I’ll be staying with them for the rest of the year. I won’t know them anyways.

The dorm building is pretty big. Apparently it was funded by the government. I walk through the hall to get to my room.

9… 10… 11… 12.

Here we go. I open the door and walk in. My roommate isn’t here yet. I look around and pick a bedroom. First comes first served. In the room there's two bedrooms, one bathroom, a small couch and tv and a small kitchen. It’s bigger than I imagined but still pretty small. I hear the door swing open behind me. I take in a breath but before I turn around I hear.

“Kageyama?!” I know that voice.. I swing around and I see the small ginger decoy. Hinata.

“What the hell are you doing here??”

“This is my dorm room!” No.. no i can’t be stuck with him all year…