Like a Ripe Plum

And here's the final chapter of this story. It took me some time to find just the right note to finish Oli and Ulla's story on - and I think I got it. Let me know if you'd like to have an epilogue for this one - and what you'd like to see in it.

Love you all,

Katya xx

***

"Did you know if you search for 'feminist Christianity' on Goodreads you get ten results?" Ulla said, lowering her phone.

"How many for 'queer Christianity?'" Oli asked with a chuckle.

Ulla checked.

"Nine."

"That's sad," he said and picked up another carrot to chop.

"How am I supposed to educate myself if I have nothing to read?" Ulla grumbled. "I'm sorry, but Borg and Hick just don't do it for me. And with all respect to Evans, may she rest in peace, I need some substantial material to even start forming my own opinion on– well, anything really."

"I know, darling, but you're hoping to find progressive enlightening reading in the most non-progressive field filled with bigots, men who are trying to ensure that patriarchy survives this century, and formerly brilliant academics who have lost their connection to the real life," he said and gestured in the air with the knife. "Not that I don't appreciate you trying."

He gave her a soft smile and went back to cooking their spagbol.

"I just don't want to– to end up just picking flowers for the church–" she started with an irritated huff.

"Which you do brilliantly," he commented.

"–and managing the choir," she continued.

"Again, brilliantly," he supplied, slicing a celery stick.

"And sitting there in a pretty hat!" she exclaimed.

"Love the hat," he murmured.

"Oli!"

"Yes, darling, sorry," he said with a laugh and looked at her over his shoulder. "I know. But it's only been six months. You can't possibly expect to be an expert in Christian theology and to have formed your own spiritual outlook by now."

"Why not?" she said stubbornly and crossed her arms on her chest.

"Because you're human," he said. "And you started from scratch. People who have been part of a church since their birth don't know what they feel and think. And you can't simply decide whether God exists or not, and stick by it after reading a few books," he said with another warm chuckle. "If it were that simple, a seminary would be a week-long course, and no one would need churches to start with. That's what they are for - for a person to come, sit, and wonder, and struggle with doubts."

"Well, that's simply inefficient," Ulla grumbled - and then grinned, because she could see his shoulders shake in laughter. Laughing Oli made her properly chuffed. "Maybe I'll limit myself to buying flowers, and the choir, and the picnics," she said.

"Whatever makes you happy, darling," he said without turning to her.

She considered throwing an over mitt into his head - cheeky bastard! - except that was his sincere approach. Ulla drummed her fingers on the table and then lifted her left hand. Nana's Art Deco diamond ring gave Ulla a familiar 'wink' catching the sunlight from the window. Funnily enough, Oli had been the one who protested against this 'outdated tradition' - while Ulla had been prepared to do anything to please Nana Holyoake. The woman both scared her witless, and made Ulla gaze at her in adoration.