Prologue

Subaru's Childhood

A soft hum of broken tunes played across the room. A silver-haired beautiful half-elf contentedly hummed without a care as she brushed her royal silver hair, combing and threading it with a happy smile placating her face.

The beautiful half-elf princess placed her brush on her dresser and twirled a bit to wave her now shinning silver smooth silk while humming her song in a chipper manner.

"Subaru always tells me that I can't sing very well... " Emilia giggled softly and checked over her daily outfit once more to make sure she was more than presentable. It was one of the things her father drilled into her. A lady is always about the looks.

"I'm sure Subaru would at least think this dress is pretty." The musing lady giggled once more as she remembered how the boy would compliment her dress every morning even if it was an old one that he complimented from before. Thinking about the black-haired youth and how he will greet her was one of Emilia's favorite things to lament in the morning. She had grown very attached to her moments with him and ever since the troubles at the Sanctuary she had been more than happy to receive the boy's romantic advances and even welcomed some of her own towards him.

"At least I think these are romantic..." Emilia whispered with a small frown as she looked at her dress once more. A habit she had picked up was that she would always dress nicely and in new outfits every day. It wasn't like she was leaving the mansion or going to any expensive gala's. No. She was a half-elf with silver-hair that resembled the devil that darkened half of the world. She wouldn't be invited to such events unless they were from the royal selection council or one of the candidates that were allied with her camp.

No.

Emilia simply changed outfits every morning just to keep getting those amazing warm smiles her precious knight would shoot at her once he sees her. It's a pleasurable feeling to see him ooze into a stuttering mess with red cheeks just from a single glance she would give him. She enjoyed how much he tripped every time she smiled towards his direction or when he would laugh at her odd phrases and corrected them with a kind tone.

She truly felt happy with this young man by her side, something she was truly thankful for.

"Hmm, I hope he doesn't think I'm silly." Emilia pursed her lips as she thought about what she had been doing for the past hour since she had awakened. Spending this much time just to play dress up for one boy's smile... She truly was such a dunderhead.

"Still... " The beautiful lady with silver-hair quirked her lips the tiniest bit up as she gazed at the door.

"A knight's job is to comfort his liege~" The ever-excited Emilia recited Subaru's favorite words for these past few weeks with a giggle at the end as warmth filled her chest at the loyalty he displayed to her and only her.

"Time to get my knight to do his job!" Emilia proclaimed with a smug smirk as she hopped towards her usual meeting spot with the boy she someday will love and cherish.

All she can do for now is have as much fun with him without forcing anything to come between them. She loved it when he says that he loves her and she wants to say it back to him.

She can't tell if it would be the truth tho... that's not fair to him.

So, she can only wait until something tells her that she's in love.

Diligently walking, Emilia comfortably hummed her tone-deaf song with a confident grin on her face as she went towards the meeting spot in the great hall where her loyal knight was sure to be. He would always wait for her with his adorable great spirit with a smile on his face ready to warm her heart.