Prologue

0

0. Prologue

Roselynne stared down at the boys pale face. His hair was unkempt and looked like it hadn't been cut in months, his smooth curls that had once flopped over the brim of his forehead now dangled below his chin. He had aged quite visibly since she had first met him, he looked more mature and yet, more broken. He had lost that dreamy look in his eyes and the smile of a young boy. He was eighteen, she'd only met him at sixteen but those two years had felt endless.

She could relate to the boy in many ways, watching your father draw his last breath or being dragged into the wrong crowd despite others warnings. She caught his eye for a moment then turned her head towards the flame.

It cascaded over the room in little sparks and it reminded her of her younger days, sitting around the tissue piles and lighting it, whispering incendio to ignite and light the area. Clarice and Lavinia by her side, Evan across from them looking up at the sky, his head resting on Tom's lap. They were so innocent, had they have known what was coming for them maybe it would seem different.

The boys cheeks were blotched from tears, it didn't make him any less handsome, a trait he had possessed from his family. The beauty of the Blacks could not be denied, from their jaws to their effortless hair, the only exemption from this had been Walburga after the death of her husband.

He swallowed air, his thumbs resting over his bottom lip, "Can I go back, I mean will it ever be the same, even if he does die will it be the same?"

She turned back to face him keeping her tongue hooked to the roof of her mouth.

"Can I?"

She shook her head, "You can't, even if it all ends one way or another your either on somebody's side or your not."

He looked up and inhaled, she didn't have to look closely to see what he was thinking it was an automatic reaction, he'd never had a choice and if he was going to make one now it would be the right one.