Reaping the Whirlwind

Start from the beginning

"He led the Israelites to victory, he crumbled the walls of Jericho, and now, now he takes us by the hand, now he shows us how to walk in the light."

"If you accept me for who I truly am, then God will know the American people are again holy, and then the American people will again rise to the top. No longer will we cower in fear from an unseen enemy, for our Father will be protecting us."

And the words, well rehearsed, still sounded to people as though he was speaking only to them.

And something changed in the room. People were looking at each other. Some were crying, though from joy or sadness he could not tell. And there were a few, of course, a few who insisted on looking doubtful.

But even they couldn't escape the new wave, the new feeling rising in the room. Raising him to Heaven.

Hope.

He had given them hope, a hope that intensified as he continued.

Their families might not taste radiation. Their houses might not be bombed.

For Jesus had risen again. And he was there only for them.   

The Book Of Eden

Chapter

1

May, 2067

        Her death sentence had come in the heat of summer. Hot black pavement, swimsuits, and a sprinkler had been the only things outside to welcome it into her life. Perhaps that was the reason it had lost its power. The reason she was here, years later. Running down the sidewalk, feet loud on the pavement. Ragged breathing echoing in her ears.  

Alive.

            Though for how long she didn't know.   

            One can never be sure.

            Up ahead, a mirror was lying on the sidewalk, smashed. Abandoned. It flung the sun's rays every which way, warped the few clouds in the sky. She had to squint, and as she drew closer, she caught the reflection of the person following her. A flash of dark blue uniform that jolted her faster, faster-

(And maybe she should leave the cans, just dump them on the sidewalk and the officer would consider it mission accomplished but then she would have failed because she had to bring them home, they needed them-)

            Stupid. Stupid to think the blistering heat was any excuse to leave her coat behind. Stupid to think her stealing abilities were such that she could trick the scanners.  Stupidity and hubris and- crucifixion, she was hungry. The last feelings lingering, through the heat that tried to suffocate her. The heat that rose in waves from the pavement.  

            She jumped over the mirror pieces when she reached them, the bounced light growing and fading as she passed it. And she could hear the skidding, as the officer skidded on them, could hear the glass fragments dancing away down the sidewalk.

            Eden darted down a side road, glancing behind her at the lone policeman who was now a safe enough distance away.  He was also panting, also sweating. His gun was out, but it wasn't raised-he would probably stop soon. There were more important things to do then recover ten cans on foot from an unarmed teenager. Because it was just that slim chance that he'd been in the store when she burgled it. Humiliation, perhaps, his only consequence.