Chapter 10

"...I always thought rich kids had it easy."

A sigh escaped your lips as you sat in the dining room, a spoonful of breakfast in your hand. Yvette, your ever loyal personal maid, noticed this as she placed a glass of water next to you.

"Please, enjoy your meal, mistress (Y/N)." You thanked her as she nodded and walked away to let you eat.

It was unsurprisingly quiet in the room. After all, save for Yvette and the occasional maid or butler passing nearby, you were the only one making any subtle noise.

Already in your school uniform, all you had to do before going out was eat breakfast then brush your teeth.

You took the spoonful of food into your mouth.

No point mulling over this, you decided as your mind glossed over the facts yet again: one, your parents prioritize work over, err, actually parenting, and two, it's safe to say the chances of your brother coming home are slim to none.

Instead, you found your mind occupying itself with thoughts of your conversation with Mary almost two weeks ago.

Your vision directed itself to a portrait on one of the walls in the room. This wasn't just any ordinary portrait; the maids and butlers made sure to keep it meticulously clean at all times and you swear just its frame could already very well cost at least a quarter of your family's mansion.

The reason why it's so expensive? Well, you honestly couldn't care less. In fact, you felt as if the frame used to prop the portrait on the wall was wasted on the image.

You frowned as your eyes met your father's, then your mother's, then your brother's... and finally yours.

Despite this considerably large family portrait of yours making its obnoxious presence known on the room's wall for years now, it never once gave you a feeling of warmth, of comfort... of family.

...which made perfect sense to you.

Your brother is the only family member you have fond memories with, albeit only a few. He always used to be busy with his responsibilities as the eldest child and heir of the Mibuomi family.

Your parents on the other hand were almost non-existent in your life despite having lived under the same roof as them for all your life. They were more like supervisors rather than parents.

Sure, they never failed to provide you with expensive material possessions and the luxury that comes with it, but they severely lacked in the emotional well-being department.

As you continued to eat, your phone rang. Placing the cutlery on your plate and picking up your phone, you accepted the incoming call. You slightly flinched as you saw who was calling.

"Good morning, (Y/N)." Your father's grumpy voice reached your ears.

You instinctively shifted uncomfortably in your seat. You knew your father had something up his sleeve again, he would never reach out to you first otherwise.

"...good morning, father." Your voice was monotonous, as it usually is when speaking to your parents.

It wasn't as if you totally didn't care about your parents -- they were still your parents after all -- but it was more like you didn't know how to talk to them as family, if that makes sense. Every comversation just feels like there's an ulterior motive behind it.

Not even pausing to care, your father replied nonchalantly, "So, I've been thinking, since your brother is practically a disgrace to us now, that only means you're taking his responsibilities too, right?"

A frown graced your features. It was typical of your father to go straight to business rather than asking how his daughter was doing first. Well, not that it bothers you, not anymore.