Chapter 11

I got writers block on this chapter, probably because Brian isn't in it.
Rated T for some heated kissing and vulgar language (what kind of language would you expect with starkid tho🤣).

Joe checked his reflection in his rear view mirror as he got out of his car. He ruffled up his hair a bit as he ran up to Zoey's front door, before ringing the doorbell. He nervously shoved his hands into his pockets, reflecting on his conversation with Brian from earlier. How someone who was in a happy relationship shouldn't have been crying like he'd been earlier. Was Brian right? He shook his head. Relationships weren't always perfect. They take work. And he'd meant what he had said about believing that what he had with Zoey was worth the work. He loved her. That was all that mattered.

She answered the door wearing sweatpants and a blue tank top that read "Hatchetfield High." Her hair was wet and silky from taking a shower, her face clean of any makeup. Joe smiled; it was rare that he got to see her all casual and natural. She was still the most beautiful girl he'd ever laid eyes on. "Hey, you're early," she said nervously.

"Got out of rehearsal a little early, sped here because I wanted to see you." He leaned over to kiss her cheek, making her smile.

"Yeah well, I look like this," she mumbled, gesturing to her outfit.

"I think you look adorable. I like that I get to see all natural Zoey from time to time."

"You and you alone," she scoffed, gesturing for Joe to come inside. "Do you have an issue with the fact that I'm always dressed up or something?"

"What? No of course not babe." Joe reassured, wrapping his arms around her waist once she'd closed the door. "Dress however you want. I love the way you dress. I just happen to think that you also look beautiful in sweatpants and no makeup." He leaned in cautiously to kiss her, but thankfully she accepted, cupping his face and melting into his hug.

"Are your parents here?" He asked as he broke away, still holding her close to him. "I should probably be polite and say hi instead of just making out with their daughter in the living room."

"Nah, they're seeing a show at the Starlight theatre." She said, smiling up at him. "Won't be home for hours. House to ourselves," she whispered against his ear.

"Ooh," Joe whispered, kissing her forehead. "For a few hours you said? Maybe we could go out for food, then come back and watch a movie? I'd be down to get our cuddle on."

"Hmm, we could," she said playfully, planting a light kiss on his neck. "Or we could order in, rent a movie and not watch it."

"Again? I'm still exhausted from this afternoon. You know you wore me out," he teased, kissing her softly. "Besides, I could use some quality time."

Zoey sighed. "Maybe I should just get a second boyfriend if you can't handle another round." She teased, pushing him away.

Joe bit his lip, that joke not rubbing him off very well. "I mean, if you really want to mess around I'd be down after dinner. But anyway, some of my friends are going out for food, And I was thinking maybe this could be a chance for you to meet them?"

Zoey glared at him, gesturing for him to follow her upstairs to her bedroom. "I'm sorry, I thought we were going to have a date right now?"

"We are!" Joe reassured as he followed her up the stairs. "We don't have to go meet them if you don't want to. Just figured I'd suggest it. And regardless, it'll just be the two of us afterward." Zoey didn't respond as they entered her bedroom, walking straight over to her dresser and grabbing some lipstick. The silence made Joe uneasy. "I just... I really want you and my friends to all get along. They're a big part of my life, and I want to share that part of me with you, ya know? But anyways, you're right, this is a date night. It should just be the two of us. We can do that some other time."