Anubis x reader

"Baby, you need to come to bed."

Nem didn't look up from her desk as she replied, still scribbling away at paperwork.

"Just a little bit longer, I'm almost done."

You sighed, moving to lean on the back of her chair. You looked over at the paperwork she was working on but, predictably, couldn't understand it. She'd been trying to teach you hieroglyphics but... well it was a slow process.

"You already said that two hours ago."

Nem put down her pen, looking up at you.

"Listen, you just go to bed okay? I really need to finish this. I promise I'll make it up to you later."

Any other time you might have relented and agreed to her offer. You knew how  demanding her work as chief builder for the pharaoh was, so sometimes late nights were necessary. But she'd been doing this all week, you couldn't let her keep doing this.

"Not  happening."

She scowled, though it softened a bit as you continued talking, placing one of your hands on her cheek.

"You haven't had a good night's sleep all week. I know this is important but you need to rest, honey."

Nem sighed, leaning into your touch slightly.

"I know, I know... but the architects are waiting for me to approve the plans for this new dam. And I still have to go over the labourers' request for higher rations. I can't just keep them waiting."

You couldn't help but smile fondly. You couldn't say you didn't like how serious she took her work, even if it could lead to scenarios like this.

"Babe, they'll be fine if you fill it out tomorrow. It's just a short delay. Plus, what if you end up doing shoddy work because you didn't get enough rest? You have to take care of yourself to do your job properly."

Your words seemed to be getting through to her at least a little bit, but she still looked doubtful.

"I know, but still... Just a little longer, okay?"

You sighed. Apparently she was not going to give in easily. So it was time to use more underhanded means.

"Hmm, but what if I... did this?"

Your hand left her cheek and quickly moved to her ears, starting to give soft scritches at their base.

"Hey, don'- oh goddess that feels nice..."

Soon Nem was putty in your hands. It was always an adorable sight when you scratched her ears: her tail wagging wildly, her foot lightly thumping the floor, the blissed out expression on her face. Not to mention she made the cutest noises as she leant into your hand to give you better access.

But there was one other benefit. She always got incredibly sleepy and cuddly right after. So when you finally let up after a few minutes, she could only look at you with half lidded eyes and a pout.

"That was a dirty trick..."

You just grinned triumphantly.

"So are you coming to bed now?"

She leant her head on the back of the chair, still pouting. After a little bit she spoke up again.

"Only if you give me more scritches before we sleep."

"Deal."

Soon, after another few minutes of ear-scritches in bed, she was happily cuddled into your chest, snoring softly as you stroked her hair. She'd probably be up early tomorrow again to continue her work, but at least like this she'd be well-rested by then.

Now if only you could get her to take an actual vacation.