Chapter 3

MISS JESSIE CHURCHILL GLANCED towards him, towards Lord Oscar Seymour, as a clink sounded from his glass, interrupting the tense silence. He was getting a drink poured for him, with an expression on his face that made one feel as though he were vacationing in Greece or some other exotic place Jessie had not the liberty to even dream of. Something dropped in her from a greater height, how could she have assumed he'd care? 

Tearing her eyes away from him, she looked at her hostess, who was busy putting a spoonful of custard into her mouth, and as she glanced at Adam Seymour, he sported that same look of amusement. Perhaps, the silence was tense only for her. Perhaps, it was only she that felt uncomfortable, after all, why would any of the other people present at the table worry for her predicament? 

Jessie thought about the predicament in question, she hated it, but it wasn't foolish. If she accepted, her father would stop making a fool of himself in front of every genteel family in the county. If she accepted, he would not have to worry about her anymore. If she accepted, she would be off his hands and well cared for. After all, what rector's daughter would want to marry for love? Stealing another glance around the table at her hosts, Jessie presumed that perhaps they thought only people of their stature were allowed to marry for love.

She shook her head inwardly to clear her thoughts. She was in no position to be prejudiced, Lady Seymour was trying to help her and her father. It wasn't her fault that Jessie hadn't managed to find a suitor yet, it wasn't her fault Jessie hadn't managed to fall in love with someone who actually loves her back yet. Lady Seymour was just trying to help, by securing a profitable match for The Churchills. 

"So?" Lady Seymour spoke after a prolonged silence, her brows rose in expectancy as she patted her lips with a handkerchief and distanced herself from her plate, "Have you come upon a decision?" 

Jessie swallowed, and composed herself as best as she could. Although, she could tell that she was still slightly shaking. "I'd like to think on it, my lady. I thank you for this offer," Jessie let out, with a nervous smile. 

Lady Margaret Seymour looked far from pleased at the response, as her face scrunched up slightly and she let out a slight huff of disbelief, "You can't afford to, but I suppose it can be tolerated." 

Jessie's smile dimmed, but she still manged to keep it on. She was embarrassed, her face grew hotter by the second and she felt suffocated. Suffocated in the large spacious dining room of the Seymour Manor. It felt like it was the size of the entire rectory, and she felt like lost button in a drawer full of valuables. She felt like that piece of old furniture that no longer belonged in a newly furnished room. 

Outside, the pounding got harder as the snow fell mercilessly to the ground. Jessie's palm sweated as she stole a glance towards the window. It was pitch black outside, with half of the window submerged in snow. She swallowed, although she had no food but anxiety bundled up in her throat. She knew she could not venture out in such snow. The darkness scared her, like it scared a child, but Jessie could've borne it were it not for the heavy snow. She knew she would undoubtedly get lost. So far, none of her hosts had addressed the situation, though the thudding of snow against the roof, windows, walls of the manor had caught everyone's attention. 

She wondered whether she'd be asked to spend the night, she hoped not. But at the same time, she wanted to wait it all out, but she wanted to wait it out anywhere but where she was at present. In a house of people who looked down at her, for her status, for her plain looks, for her demeanor. Although, Jessie was sure she had always been as polite as she could be with everyone she had ever met. But then again, people do have a tendency to judge a person by counting the number of servants they had. 

Jessie let out a slow breath, calming herself. If she is not asked to stay, she would not impose. It will all be alright. Just a few miles' walk and she would be at the rectory in no time. She repeated the phrases to herself, convincing her composure and mind to come at ease.