Chapter 2

I was still shaken by what mom had said. It couldn't be a coincidence, could it? Because when dad had made me promise that, my mom wasn't present around. As far as I can remember, she was in the kitchen and out of ear's reach. Then how on earth is it possible that she had said it exactly the way my dad had spoken? To be precise, she even held that intense stare that meant what she said. It was a look that I had never seen on her face before. I didn't voice my thoughts to her or even question her further. With a nod and a flash of smile, I had rushed to school. I can't concentrate in class either and how could I? I don't believe in things such as coincidence, well I mean-"coincidental promises".

Right now, I'm totally freaked out and can't think rationally. I have pondered over all sorts of logical explanation to clear my doubts but there doesn't seem to be any. I should have questioned mom, but I didn't want to bring back memories and make her cry early in the morning. She was a brave woman but that braveness had been adapted only after months of grieving. After dad's death, she wouldn't speak or smile for two months. We were staying at my aunt's house then and Aunt Jane would remark on how I was acting like the mother to my mom, by consoling and giving comfort. And I would agree with her, after all dad had made me promise and I keep promises.

"Natalya, what's wrong with you today? I have never seen you so gloomy before. Aren't you supposed to be the ever smiling chick spreading positive energy?" My best friend Amy cooed in my ear making me drift from my thoughts and jump in response.

We have been friends since we were 10 and we share almost everything with each other. We always have each other's backs for support and we can read one another like an open book.

"Um, well, it's my mom. Her morning pranks are making me sick and that is just getting to my nerves nowadays. I guess I need to talk to her about stopping them." I blabbered, keeping my eyes away from her face. I knew she would make out that I'm lying.

" You must be kidding Natalya-oh, wait- you aren't Natalya!! My friend would never be pissed with her mom. And talking about morning pranks; she sees them as a challenge. Tell me, where have you hidden Natalya Rose, miss?" I laughed in amusement at Amy's reply. She surely decoded me in an instant and I'm not surprised either. She is always the smarter one among us and it's impossible to keep anything hidden from her. She can guess what's hidden in the back of your mind by just one scrutinising gaze of hers. The smart bitch!! I wanted to voice out my feelings and look for what she had to say, as she always had a solution in mind for any situation. But then again, I had always involved her in every part of my life and would feel guilty at times.

"I know there's something bothering you. Spill it out. It definitely has to be something major or else you wouldn't be lying to me." Amy's voice held concern and she seemed worried about me. Its not everyday that you get to see The Joker frowning. Well, my class mates would tease me as The Joker for the permanent smile stuck up on my face and I would laugh along with them as I saw it as a positive remark. "Yeah, you have guessed right. It's something I don't want to talk about and I better keep it to myself. I don't want to drag you into my personal mess."

"If it's personal then I guess its concerning your mom-I mean- what other personal problems would you be having. I hope everything's fine between you both."Her tone was cautious and her eyes were scanning me like a barcode reader. "I told you Amy, I don't want to discuss about it. It's something you won't understand. Please, leave me to myself." I pleaded and for a moment, I knew she felt offended.

"Oh really Natalya!! Is this all you have to comment on me for sticking by your side all these years as your close friend? That I won't understand your misery and to see you lost in thoughts all by yourself? As far as I remember, that's not what we had promised each other- to leave each other alone at times like these. But if you really don't see me as the understanding best friend I thought I was, and want to suffer in your so called roller coaster ride alone, then so be it! I won't bother you anymore. Sorry for even caring." Saying so, she walked past me. I was shocked and dumbfounded by her outburst. She was a short-tempered pixie but I had never seen this face of hers. It scared me to think that she was angry with me and wouldn't talk to me anymore. Why couldn't my roller coaster take a different path? Oh God,why?