Family

“Happy Anniversary!” The guild shouted, throwing confetti as Levy and I smiled. It was our one-year wedding anniversary, and the guild was throwing us a party to celebrate. Along with that, though, we were celebrating Levy’s pregnancy. She was six months along now, with only three more to go. We had found out she was having a girl, so everyone had decided to combine the anniversary party and wedding shower into one.

I watched as she opened gifts, and carried things that were too heavy—or, rather, what I thought were too heavy. She complained that I never let her do anything, but I saw it as merely taking care of her and the baby. I had never been around children much, let alone a baby, so the thought of having something so little and fragile scared me a little.

I mean, my father had been a dragon, so gentle wasn’t really in my vocabulary. I sighed, thinking about Metallicana. I missed him every day, and I made it a point to remember him, to keep his memory alive. I had opened up about my past with him to Levy, too. She seemed to enjoy my stories of him, so I obliged, telling her everything I could about him.

Once the party was over, I took Levy’s hand so we could walk home. “I never gave you my anniversary gift,” she suddenly said.

I frowned. “You know you didn’t have to get me anything. I’m perfectly happy with everything I have.” Although I had gone out of my way to decorate the entire nursery for Levy as her anniversary gift, surprising her with it that morning, I had told her not to get me anything. Honestly, I couldn’t really think of anything I wanted more than what I already had.

“I know, but I wanted to do something,” she smiled. “Come with me.” She led me around the guildhall, instructing me to close my eyes. I did, allowing her to guide me. After a short distance, she brought us to a stop. “Alright, you can open your eyes.”

When I did, I found myself standing in front of a memorial stone. I raised an iron-studded eyebrow, looking at Levy. “What’s this?”

“Read it,” she instructed.

I crouched in front of the black stone, reading the engraved silver lettering. Once I saw the name there, my eyes grew wide. “Is this—?”

“I know there’s nothing I can do to ease your pain,” she said, softly, “but I at least wanted to give you a place to go where you felt closer to your father.”

I stared at Metallicana’s name on the stone, an uncomfortable lump forming in my throat. A place to go to feel close to him, I thought, smiling a little.

“Do you like it?” She asked, putting her hand on my shoulder.

I nodded, reaching up to cover her hand with mine. “I love it, Shrimp, thank you.”

She sat down on her knees, huffing a little because of the effort it took. Her stomach practically took up her entire lap now, and she put her free hand on it, smiling tenderly as she looked at Metallicana’s stone. “Hey there, Metallicana,” she said. “I know we didn’t get the chance to meet properly, but I just wanted to thank you. You did a great job with Gajeel. He’s a little rough around the edges at times,” she giggled, looking at me, “but he’s so incredibly caring. And I love him very much.”

She turned back to the stone, “I also wanted to tell you that you’re going to be a grandfather soon. To a little girl who I’m sure will love all of Gajeel’s stories about you.”

“Thanks, Shrimp,” I told her, smiling as I kissed her softly.

“I wanted our daughter to know about him, and to have a place to visit him,” she smiled. “I want him to be a part of our family, too.”

“I’m sure he’d be happy to hear that,” I chuckled. I got to my feet, helping Levy to hers, then grabbed her hand. “Ready to go home?”

“Ready,” she smiled.

I glanced back at Metallicana’s stone, smiling. Goodbye, dad