I grit my teeth and nearly throw my phone across the room. But I've learned from Cooper's mistake and restrain myself enough to simply grip it tightly and work up the nerve to read past her name. I definitely don't need her making matters worse right now.

Where are you?

I roll my eyes, lazily unlocking my phone to reply. I shouldn't reply, but all of my pent up anger that I have toward her won't let me go without answering her now, and blowing up on her.

At the hospital. Where else would I be?

Home? she replies, I came over, but your mom told me to leave and not to come back.

Good.

I smirk, typing out a quick thanks to my mom. She may be completely pissed that I still haven't come home, but she still helps me fight my battles.

I thought you could use some cheering up ;)

Why don't you go cheer up Cooper?

God, I'm fighting the urge to just type out a massive paragraph about how much I hate her. She, with the help of Milly and Luke, are the reason I'm sitting in here right now. They're the reason Maddie is lying, unconscious, in that hospital bed.

All they wanted was for it to be certain that Maddie and I would never be together. Lily said it herself. What better way for that to happen than for Maddie to be f*cking dead?

I can't help myself anymore.

You know, you should never have broken up with him. At least you had some emotional bond with him or whatever.

Did you really think I would want anything to do with you after this? Congrats. Now you don't have either of us.

I hardly wanted anything to do with you in the first place.

Go f*ck Luke or something.

Let me be sad in peace, and after that, let me fix things with my f*cking girlfriend. It's the least you could do.

I huff. A million other things that I could say to her are coming into my head one by one, but I think it's best that I end it there. The more I say, the more it looks like I actually want to talk to her.

She starts typing and I can practically see the total lack of remose she has on her face while she does. At least I feel guilty after I do shit like that.

What's your problem?

I don't respond, like I planned. The last time I tried to explain to her my problem with our situation, I slept with her again. With my lack of self-control, we'd probably end up sexting by the end of this conversation if I answered again.

I'm just about to shut off my phone and focus on the problem at hand, like I've been doing for the past two days, when I get another text. From Ethan.

Apparently, today is the perfect day for everyone I don't want to talk to, to text me. I hold my breath and open his conversation.

You down to chill Friday instead? At 1?

I sit still, as if he's going to walk in behind me and I'm going to have to fight him right here and now. I'm going to do this, whether I'm dating Maddie or not. I have to.

Yep, no problem.

I let out my breath, pressing send.

"You're still in here?" Michael asks and I jump out of my seat. Maddie's hand, limp, falls back onto the bed and my heart starts beating wildly.