Chapter 3: So it Begins

For the last hour Fairy Tail had walked through the scorching desert that contained the most feared and infamous Web Valley. As they did so Natsu began to think back on his recent conversation with Zeref.

Magnolia Prison

"What price?!" Natsu asked, growling with boiling rage.

"My price is freedom." Zeref sighed coolly and nonchalantly, as if he was bored.

"You can forget about that especially after what you've done Zeref!" Natsu yelled with absolute fiery rage.

"Now now, no need to get excited brother! After you have captured this new threat to Fiore, I will sign an agreement never to return or attack Fiore again. After that I will permanently return to Alverez though not alone of course." Zeref said, thinking he had made perfectly reasonable terms.

"What do you mean not alone?" Natsu asked, seething at the idea of his brother being free once more.

"I would bring Mavis along with me as my companion. She will rule Alvarez alongside me, like I wanted years ago." Zeref explained calmly.

"Why would we give you our first master, after the harm you caused her guild?! She'd never agree to it!" Natsu yelled once again outraged that his brother could even think to ask for such a thing.

"Alvarez is no longer a country made for war. Though the rest of the Spriggan 12 do not know that. In fact they are planning to break me out right now."

Zeref's demeanour then became serious.

"What! You're trying to bargain your freedom, while all this time your little minions are going to break you out!"

"I made no such request, they still think the war is on and are just waiting for my command. But if you free me, I can officially end the conflict between our countries. And, as an added bonus, I will give you the Book of END." Zeref explained snakily.

"Why would I want that, without magic you can't even use it. Not to mention it's already unsealed! So you can forge..." Natsu tried to answer till suddenly he felt a familiar pain rise in his chest.

Zeref then smiled wickedly as he watched the panicked expression spread across Natsu's face.

"Because brother the 'magic' is in the Book, and I can still control you with it."

Natsu froze and began to shake where he stood as all the terrible memories of all the pain and suffering he caused flooded his entire being.

"Why did you have them lock me up here?" Zeref asked innocently.

As Zeref spoke Natsu's memories soon became real again, and the pain in his chest spread like a wildfire in his blood.

"If you had no use for me, why didn't you fulfil your purpose and end me already?" Zeref asked as his voice became distorted.

Natsu could sense the book somewhere in the room, but it was hard to focus. His thoughts became fuzzy, and were almost taken over by demonic urges. He did his best to fight it until Zeref finally stopped.

"I see you've gotten stronger, brother dear. Here!" The former dark Mage smiled as he tossed Natsu the book.

Natsu cautiously picked up the book, tracing the words with a sense of shame and fear in his fingertips.

"I'll let you in on a little bonus secret: my magic isn't completely gone. Honour my proposed deal and I'll let you keep it. Now that you know my terms I'll tell you what I know about this little threat of yours..."

Web Valley

As the flashback came to a close Natsu knew he needed to tell someone. And only one person came in to his mind he could trust with such a secret.