Hit the Ground Running Interference

We made it through our shift.  I couldn’t have done it without Daphne.  She gave me all her turns on stage.  Even as the boss Mark couldn’t get me on stage.  He wouldn’t risk it.  Daphne spent the rest of the time either being the barrier between Mark and I or she would brilliantly create some event that needed Mark’s immediate attention.  She would always get somebody else to unknowingly create interference.  Between Danny in the d.j. booth and Gavin at the bar, Daphne made sure that somebody always seemed to require Mark’s help.  I couldn’t tell if Mark caught on to what was happening or not because I wouldn’t even look in his direction.  I knew I couldn’t keep this up forever but worst case scenario after a few days Mark will get the hint.  Best case scenario Noah’s investigation gets Mark and his drugs out of here permanently.

            Thinking of Noah made me think of how we left things the last time we saw each other.  We flirted on the phone in the bathroom at Daphne’s party but we have never discussed the other night, we never discussed us.  And after last night with Craig I wasn’t sure if there would be an us.  I knew that Craig and I decided to pretend it never happened but I knew I needed some distance before I could actually convince myself to do that.  I had to just keep Noah a phone call away until I could get over the guilt and buy some time.  Since we weren’t officially anything if I could just get a few days to separate what happened with Craig to what I hope may happen with Noah I can convince my guilt to back off.  Unfortunately I knew that in between that time Vinnie and Tori will be back from D.C. 

These thoughts have kept me preoccupied with the Mark drama for a few moments and I realized that there was only fifteen minutes left until our shift was over.  I finished my last turn on the stage.  Daphne gave me strict orders to go straight to the bar after I was done and wait there.

            After the club closes Mark still needs to count the bar tills and put the cash in the safe.  There was a very small window to get right out of the club and Daphne and I were going to make it.  I followed Daphne’s orders and went right over to the bar until she got out.  I was making small talk with Gavin when Daphne came my way.  She handed me my bag and we were out on the sidewalk in a minute.  “We need to get to the other side of the street so he thinks we are gone.”  She grabbed onto my arm and I cried out in pain.  “Sorry but we need to move now.”  We dashed across the street dodging cars.  Luckily there weren’t too many in the street at this ungodly hour.

“Gees Daphne do this much?”  She was taking charge and seemed to know how to dodge someone like an expert.

            “Seriously Lennie you need to get out more.”  She didn’t even look at me she just kept dodging in between cars.

            As soon as we made it across she started walking the opposite way from home.  “Where are you going?  We live the other way.”

“We need to get a cab.”  She said it as if that answered my questions.

“They have cabs on the other side of the road.”   I was panting now.  Gasping for air.

Daphne kept on dragging me until we got to the end of the block.  We had now accomplished to get a block further from home.  Daphne tried hailing a cab and gave me a look.  “What is the point of rushing out of there if you are just going to stand outside where he can get you anyway?”  I hadn’t thought of that.  “I swear Len sometimes I think I could’ve gotten into Harvard.”

We stood there on the corner trying to get a cab.  I kept looking down at the club to see if Mark had come out yet.  So far he hadn’t.  A car pulled up into the alley next to us and stopped.  The window rolled down and without hesitation Daphne yelled, “keep moving asshole.  I have pepper spray.”  My heart skipped a beat.  We are going to die.  I am going to get Daphne killed while she is trying to save me from getting my ass kicked.