Chapter 9 Out Of The Frying Pan and Into The Fire

Max falls backwards out of the portal, landing hard onto the warm, dark and rocky ground. The sky consumed by a crimson glow from a nearby volcano, bubbling and spewing molten rock, and black smoke into the air. A ceiling of dark clouds enclose the fiery world in complete cover. Rivers of glowing lava, jagged rocks, and other volcanoes can be seen in the murky distance.
   He quickly brushes off the pain from his impact with the rocks, and rises to his feet, rushing back to the green door.
   Sarena and Glik exit the portal, blocking his way, as the door closes behind them.
   "Noo! What in the hell were you thinkn'!" Max screams at her in his rage.
   "I was thinking that you were about to throw your life away for nothing," she explains.
   "Not your call to make sweetheart! We all gotta go sometime, at least I can choose how I go. But you robbed me of that! I was supposed to die in glorious combat, proudly defending my world."
   "There is no honor and nothing glorious about committing suicide," she responds.
   "Grr, you just don't understand!" yelling and pointing his finger at her, before switching it to Glik. "You! Open it back up, NOW!" he roars the demand.
   "I can't, it's charge is expended and needs to be recharged. And even if it was ready I can't enter coordinates. It just doesn't work like that," he explains.
   "I, uh, uh, Be bop, boo bop, I don't care! Make it work like that, nerd!" Max yells, mocking him.
   "Hey, that's enough," Sarena says, defending her friend. "I know your mad that we would not let you kill yourself, but we cannot go back, even if we wanted to. That world was doomed."
   "Oh, and this one's better!" he screams, holding his hands up. "Thanks alot, now I get to die in the devil's butthole! Much better. Do me a favor, don't do me any more favors!" he erupts before turning to stomp and storm off.
   "Wait, we don't know what's out there," Glik beckons and warns him.
   "Let him go cool off Glik, we owe him that much."
   "Gonna be pretty hard to cool off in a place like this," he says, looking around at their new surroundings. "And, what's gonna be harder yet is trying to charge the portal gun with no sun."
   Sarena looks around and up at the dark cloud cover. "Well, if we need to we can always try to fly above the clouds and hope there's a sun up there. But for now, maybe we should try and get some rest, we have been going all night."
   "Great idea, I'm exhausted," Glik agrees. "And hopefully the clouds will clear while we're resting. It looks like we're just out of range, of that volcano's fireballs, and should be safe here for the time being. Hopefully no fire monsters come by looking for a meal."
   They tuck themselves into the base of a large, bent over, and jagged rock, providing partial cover. The two try to get comfortable amongst the rocks as they eat, rest, and try to stay hidden from any prying eyes.
   Sarena struggles to open her heavy eyes. The ground rumbles for a quick moment before growing quiet again. Another quick tremor before stilling. Another short shake from the ground, larger than the last, before lulling again.
   "Glik, wake up," she calls over, as she starts to worry.
   "Mmm, five more minutes," he groans, still half asleep.
   Another boom from the ground causes him to raise his head.
   "What was that?" he asks, beginning to join in on Sarena's worries.
   Once more the ground grumbles, louder still, before pausing.
   "Not again, I'm still hurting from the last time," she complains.
   The booming increases, followed by another lull.
   "These tremors are different, they're more like the intervals of footsteps than the elongated ones from burrowing," he reasons, before meeting Sarena's eyes with his, both scared from the possible revelation.
   The rumbling grows louder still. The gap this time, accompanied by sweeping darkness consuming the area, and spreading from behind the large jagged canopy.
   Three gigantic clawed fingers, glowing red, reach down from above the bent rock over their heads. They curl up under the crooked spire as a massive red clawed thumb appears from the other side, curling up and under the rock. Small fragments of the jagged canopy rain down onto the two, as the appendages squeeze upwards, snapping the spire from its base, and removing their shelter.
   They look up at the fiery, luminescent, and colossal monstrosity with the crushed rock in it's hand. It stands upright on two massive but stumpy legs, and wields two equally stumpy arms. A large sloped reptilian head sits atop it's elongated crimson body, rising to forty feet tall. A thick forty foot long tail comes crashing down behind it, as the volcanic earth shakes from the thunderous impact. Massive wings fan out in a display behind it, throwing a gust of hot air towards the small pair, looking on in awe and terror.
   The dragon turns the rock to dust in it's crushing grip, as it brings two sharp claws down, smashing into the ground, causing it to quake and ripple around them.
   Small feathered wings and a jetpack thrust the two into the air, avoiding the shattering earth beneath them.
   The beast lets out an epic and ferocious roar, sending Sarena and Glik tumbling away in the burning shockwave.
   They struggle to recover but finally manage to right themselves in the air, before crashing into the jagged ground below.
   "I miss the giant bug," Glik says, panting and breathing heavy from the extreme heat.
   "Glik, I don't know how long I can hold this beast off for, we need to get out of here fast. We'll never out run something like that, but if you fly past the clouds, hopefully you'll be able to charge the portal gun while I keep it distracted. I'll try to stay alive until your return, but if I fall, try to look for Max and get out of here."
   The beast wastes no more time watching it's prey, it leaps towards them, splitting the two as they dodge to either side. The ground shattering again under the monster's impact.
   Sarena pulls her sword, and creates a large pavise shield, as she yells, "Glik, go!"
   "Stay alive Sarena!" he yells back as he rockets upward, towards the dark ominous clouds.
   The monster turns it's head up, towards the escaping prey.
   "No you don't!" she yells, charging in with a battlecry.
   It gets the dragon's attention, causing it to turn towards her, trying to snap down with jaws and countless fangs.
   She rolls left, continuing her charge down the side of the menacing head, slashing at it's neck. The blade scrapes against hard scales, sparks ricocheting off, leaving no mark on the beast.
   It counters with a headbutt from the side. Sarena hides behind her large blue shield, but still gets sent tumbling back through the air from the huge impact.
   She rights herself and levels off in the air, just in time to see the relentless animal lunging towards her with jaws wide.
   Spinning to the left avoids the snapping jaws, however the dragon still manages to catch her with a right open palm. The shield takes the brunt of the blow, but still she goes tumbling away, head over heels.
   This time, going with the momentum of the somersault, using it to build speed, she comes out of the roll jetting back to the ground.
   She touches down and instantly kicks off of a rock, rushing away with a great burst of speed, as the dragon comes down hot and heavy. It explodes the earth beneath it, slamming down where she landed.
   The beast gives chase, going for another tackle and smash, as Sarena barely manages to kick off of the ground again in time, darting in another direction.
   The dragon tries the same move over, as Sarena makes another close but nimble dodge.
   One more attempt. This time, after missing again, growing visibly angry and frustrated with the cat and mouse game, the beast holds it's ground.
   The dragon stares Sarena down, as she stops to stare back, trying desperately to catch some of her breath, ready to dart away again.
   The monster growls furiously, before beginning to take in a deep inhale. The underbelly starts to glow bright and radiant. It holds it for a moment, before exhaling magnificent and brilliant fire in a jetstream towards it's evasive prey.
   With a rapid thrust of her wings, Sarena launches up above the scorching blaze. She hovers, prepared to evade again as the dragon expends it's flame.
   The monster glares at Sarena in their standoff, mouth smoldering from it's last attack.
   The beast ends the stare down with another lunging leap towards her, claws and fangs foward.
   Sarena goes high this time, flipping up and over the snapping jaws, planting her feet onto it's red hot snout.
   A lunging stab for an eye fails, as a giant clawed hand swats the attack away, sending her flying through the air.
   Steadying herself in the air, Sarena pants and breathes heavy, already battered and bruised, watching as the monster flys high with mighty wings.
   The mighty wings clap and thrust, creating a scorching gust and whirlwind of heat towards her.
   Not being able to avoid the massive and wide air attack, the blast sends her flying into the hard and rocky ground.
   Sarena bullies her shield to position it between herself and the ground. It absorbs some of the crash and sends her sliding across the ground, leaving a wake of blue sparks and flying rocks in their path.
   The shield comes to a skidding halt as Sarena glances up, revealing the dragon coming down fast, in an attempt to smash her again.
   A nimble cartwheel to her feet and a rapid dash away isn't enough to avoid the incoming danger. She barely avoids the crashing dragon, but gets hit in the back by a flying rock, flung up by the earth shattering impact as it explodes the surrounding ground.
   Landing face down and sprawled out on the ground knocks the wind out of her. She turns her head slightly in time to catch a glimpse of the clawed hand coming down.
   A quick roll to the side evades the crushing palm. A rapid thrust of her wings and a kick off the ground, launches her foward, narrowly escaping the other paw as it swipes at her.
   Sarena comes down from her leaping dive, sliding across the rocky ground until her feet grind to a halt. She looks back, desperately trying to catch her breath, winded and broken, as the dragon sends a sinister grin back her way, as another stare down ensues.
   It's evil hungry eyes glaring, allowing itself a tongue across hungry chops, knowing it's prey is on the ropes and will be done for soon. The beast relishes in it's hunt, beginning to toy with it's meal, allowing her to regain the air in her lungs, extending the rare play time.
   The monster only allows Sarena a short reprieve before playfully and excitedly pouncing again. Still breathing heavy, but out of time, she charges straight at the leaping beast in defiance.
   She goes low, diving onto her shield and sliding across the ground head first, blue sparks and small rocks flying in her wake. Two sharp claws swipe at her as they go by overhead, barely missing as she keeps as low as possible.
   Making it by the deadly talons, Sarena raises her sword high, scratching the underbelly of the beast as it goes by. Sliding to a stop, she hops up and stands strong and defiant, looking back at the beast with confidence after the first exchange to go her way, if even just a little bit.
   The beast lands from it's unsuccessful pounce, sliding across the ground, kicking up large rocks as it spins to look back at the nimble meal. Looking down at the minor scratch on it's belly and then back to Sarena, it growls ferociously. Evil eyes narrow in their gaze, as the dragon begins to get serious and finish toying with it's prey.
   It leaps again with a familiar attack as Sarena readily dodges, darting away. The dragon spins to whip it's tail around, as it comes crashing down. She spots the incoming appendage from the corner of her eye and vaults backwards as it sweeps beneath her. Finishing the vault with a backflip down to her feet, she turns to see an open claw reaching towards her.
   Jumping up with a small wing thrust, Sarena rotates around with an extended sword in a spinning slash, and manages to finally draw the first of her opponent's blood with a slice across it's palm.
   The dragon lets out a loud hissing shriek, as it instinctively pulls back the cut hand. It investigates the small wound, licking it's paw, removing the tiny bit of blood.
   Sarena lands with a cocky smirk, holding her now crimson tipped blade in front of her, as she begins to turn the tide of war.
   The monster glares back at her with sinister eyes, snarling savagely, smoke coming from flared nostrils, enraged.
   In the dragon's fit of rage, it lifts it's good hand up, before driving it down into the ground, sending forth an earth shattering and destructive fissure towards it's defiant and stubborn prey.
   Sarena leaps up above the ruin as the dragon tries to catch her in it's flamethrower, after taking a quick deep breath to produce a stream and narrow blaze of fire. An agile roll and spin left puts her right were the beast wanted, finishing off the combo attack with a violent and lightning fast crack of it's whip like tail. Hitting her with a large vertical slash from the lash, sends her flying off uncontrollably through the air, and down to the ground.
   Head over heels she crashes down, skipping in a violent tumble across the unforgiving and rocky terrain.
   First, the sword leaves her as she smashes into the arm holding it, losing her grip. Then the shield, as she tries to use it to help protect against the violent tumble, but loses it as her shoulder batters against the rocks. The wreck ends with her coming face down into a final deadly slide, before coming to a halt.
   The dragon excitedly watches the glorious crash with wide eyes and a sinister grin. It studies the resilient prey, observing no movement for a few moments before stalking cautiously closer.
   Sarena's weary eyes open, as she awakes to the dragon's footsteps moving closer. Her vision blurry and distorted. Her body scraped, bloodied and bruised, as she tries to lift herself up. Half a push up, before coughing blood from her internal bleeding, rolling onto her back, laying there broken and defeated.
   The stalking dragon slowly coming into view above her, wickedly smiling from it's victorious hunt, licking it's hungry chops again in preparation of a well earned meal.
   Tears start to well in her bruised eyes, from her agony and the terrifying sight looming above.
   "Noo!" Sarena yells in a helpless cry. "Get away from me." She sobs, not wanting to go out like this.
   Great jaws enlarge and grow wide, saliva teeming all around it's voracious fangs.
   Sarena lets out a deep sigh in her defeat, coughing more blood, before spotting something above the monster's head.
   She squints and strains her eyes to make out a round apple-sized object, arcing over the dragon's head, and coming down in front of it's face. Noticing the object, the beast turns it's head up, to look straight at it, as it falls.
   It explodes into a large ball of destructive fire, throwing the monster back and onto it's back from the unexpected blast. Sarena's hair flutters from the destructive shockwave of air reaching down to her, as she turns her head to the side, shying her eyes away from the radiant explosion.
   She manages to lift her head slightly, to look past the downed dragon, as the dragon looks up in the same direction while on it's back.
   "Hey, big, dumb and ugly," Max taunts, standing tall on top of a large nearby rock, rifle raised and resting on his shoulder. "I believe the lady said hands off. And besides, she's with me," he declares, lowering his rifle to both hands, fixed onto the shocked dragon. "And no means no," he states, opening fire.