Like Father, Like Son

Start from the beginning

"Ah, how unfortunate. I would-," he was interrupted by a ring. His phone. Looking at the caller identification he picked up immediately. "Sorry, it is my father....hallo?" He placed his phone to his ear.

"Austria." I heard the high pitched whiny voice of my great uncle. Even though not on speaker, I could still hear his voice though the receiver.

"Yes papa?" Austria's own voice became almost like child's.

"Austria, you must come here." He said.

"Here, where?"

"To the front of your office. I'm here."

"WHAT?" He yelled in shock. My whole head felt like it was going to crack and I clapped my hands over my ears. The sound bounced and echoed in my skull. "Why? and How!?"

"For the thing." Austria Hungary whined. "You told me about....and I'm visiting German Empire. He's going to give me tea packets."

"Ah, papa." Austria sighed. "I'm in the middle of something important."

"But I'm your father," he kept on. It sounded like Austria was older than him. More sensible and serious. "Who can be more important than me?"

"I'm sorry Germany," he whispered to me. "We're going to have to cut this short. Maybe next time?"

"Of course." I nodded. "I understand...I guess."

"Danke." He kept on to talk with Austria Hungary.

"Hurry up." Was the last line I heard before Austria stood up. "I'm freezing."

"It's not even cold." He muttered and left noisily. Pushing the chair out of the way, I dutifully followed, blinking and adjusting to the brightness after the cramped and dark room. Switzerland had ducked under his desk out of sight, tightly curled in a ball and unmoving, with his mouth open in panting. My great uncle, Austria Hungary, in all his royal highness, stood near the doorway one of his arms wrapped around his son's. His unimaginably beautiful white waistcoat with golden epalettes and strings and embroidery reminded me of Russian Empire's navy clothing. Born with a horrific distortion of the eyes due to my great grandfather's love of alcohol, he wore his two signature eyepatches over his eye cavities. Guilty for doing so, my great grandfather left all of his money to Austria Hungary instead of his able bodied, belligerent, and fiery younger son. His chin was always tipped up and his expression always sour. He always contracted some sort of passing by sniffle or sickness, leaving him wheezing and winded. Self conscious as he was, he asked everyone about his appearance. He ran numerous talk shows and broadcasted his voice over ever radio and his face graced the newspapers, televisions and mobile phones alike. Even if he couldn't see himself, he did have a huge ego. I guessed that being the way he was didn't really help being humble; great grandfather spoiled him too much. It showed, unfortunately. He had an uncanny ability to sense how many people were in a room and how big spaces were. His head snapped towards me. I involuntarily held my breath.

"Who is there?" Austria Hungary clutched his son's arm like a housewife to her rich husband.

"It's Germany. Drittes Reich's son. Remember him?" Austria said calmly, rubbing his frail father on the back. Even though old, Austria Hungary stood stiff as a board, his back straight like a soldier's.

"Yes. I do." He nodded. "Hello Germany. I don't think we've met...at all."

"No, great uncle."

"Come here." He waved in the completely correct direction. He must have sharp hearing to be able to distinguish which part of the room I was in. I hesitantly came to him and he reached out with a trembling hand and brushed my neck. I think he was going for my shoulder, but I didn't expect perfection. I took his hand gently and guided it to my shoulder.