The Right Kind Of Revenge

Thomas and I arrived home from the Abbey and hurried to change. Tonight was the night of our dinner with Anna and Mr Bates. I was rather nervous to ask this favor of them. I didn't know if Mr Bates would even want to help Thomas, but I knew they were our only hope of succeeding. Thomas came into the kitchen in his suit and hat. I still hadn't fully told him what we'd be doing. I was hoping that tonight he would gain some trust in Mr Bates so he'd confide in him. I knew it was a long shot, but it was worth a try.
       Thomas: I wish I knew the whole truth.
       Kimberly: You'll understand soon. I promise. Would you mind if we told them I was pregnant?
        Thomas: I thought we were going to keep that a secret.
        Kimberly: I know but I tell Anna everything. It's odd that she doesn't know.
        He sighed and shook his head yes. I beamed and kissed him. We walked down the driveway and came to Anna and Bates cottage.
         Kimberly: Now you have to be on your best behavior tonight. Promise?
         He rolled his eyes in annoyance as I knocked on the door. Anna came and took our coats. I noticed as we talked before dinner that Bates seemed just as on edge and suspicious as Thomas was. I always thought they were quite similar which made me curious as to why they didn't get along.
         I went with Anna into the kitchen to help her prepare and we both started laughing at how ridiculous our husbands were being. I knew it was driving Thomas mad being left alone with Bates. We finally sat down to dinner and I revealed that I was pregnant. Anna was so excited and Bates congratulated me. After dinner, we sat down to tea. That was when I made up my mind to ask them.
        Kimberly: I have a favor to ask of you both. Well..mostly Bates.
         Bates: What is it?
         Kimberly: Well recently, O'Brien has been telling Jimmy nasty things about Thomas. I was wondering if you could maybe threaten her with a secret that she wouldn't want anyone to know about.
           Bates paused and thought for a moment. He looked at Thomas and then at Anna.
           Bates: Even if I were to say yes, I don't know what I could use to threaten her with that she'd care about. Everyone downstairs knows how terrible she can be.
          Kimberly: Well that's what Thomas is here for.
          Thomas: What?
           Kimberly: Well obviously people know how bad she is, but you know how dark she can be. You must know something about her that we can use.
           He hesitated. I could tell he thought of something. I decided to leave them alone so he would share it.
            Kimberly: Anna I just remembered I bought the most lovely dress that I've been dying to show you. Would you like to come to the cottage and see it?
            Thomas gave me the evil eye and I smirked at him.
            Anna: Of course.
            We grabbed our coats and went to the cottage.
            The next day, I saw that Bates and Thomas were giving each other strange looks. When Thomas had arrived home, he didn't share anything about what they had talked about which I found odd since we told each other everything. I figured it must have been something massive.
           After I came downstairs from getting Lady Edith ready for the day, Anna pulled me into the corridor.
           Anna: He's done it.
           Kimberly: Really? What did he say?
          Anna: He told her that he could tell that she was trying to ruin Mr Barrow and Jimmy's friendship and if she didn't stop, he was going to tell her secret.
          I was surprised that Mr Bates had told Anna and Thomas hadn't told me.
         Kimberly: Wait what was the secret?
         Anna: Well Mr Bates didn't tell me everything. He just told me this phrase: her ladyship's soap.
          I couldn't even imagine what big secret would come from Lady Grantham's soap. I chuckled to myself thinking how she would get in trouble with her soap.
         Kimberly: Now we will just have to see if it works.
        Thomas arrived downstairs from dressing Lord Grantham. He came and sat next to me. Jimmy came in with a cigarette in his hand. I decided to see what would happen if I started a conversation with Thomas beside me.
        Kimberly: So Jimmy are you excited for the upcoming cricket match?
        Jimmy: Sort of. I'm not much of a cricket player. I hear that Mr Barrow is one of the best.
       Kimberly: Maybe you both can practice together.
       Jimmy: That would be great.
       Carson: James! Upstairs now!
       Jimmy quickly put out his cigarette and ran up the stairs. Thomas and I smiled at each other.
       Thomas: What have I turned you into?
         I laughed. Thomas had decided to go upstairs early to grab some of his lordships pajamas out of the laundry. Ms O'Brien came in for the servants dinner.
         OBrien: So...you got what you wanted didn't you?
         I tried to look confused but I knew it wouldn't work on her.
         OBrien: Why did you get Mr Bates involved instead of telling me yourself?
         Kimberly: Well I may be clever but I'm not a very threatening person. Thomas towers over me and I look very timid. I thought he'd get the job done; and so he did.
         I walked out of the servants hall with a smile on my face. I knew now that there wasn't much she could do with this dark secret hanging over her head. Now I could concentrate on finally becoming a mother.