Secrets Revealed

I walked into the servants hall and sat down for breakfast. I looked over at Thomas. He looked back at me but didn't give me a hint of emotion. Anna kept looking between us. I knew she could tell that something was wrong. We finished with breakfast and I got Lady Edith ready for the day. I came back down with a pair of shoes to shine and saw Thomas in the boot room. I sighed and went in.
    Kimberly: So what are we going to do?
    Thomas: I'm sorry I was so harsh with you Kimmy.
    Kimberly: I know you are. But that's not the problem anymore.
    I walked up to him and grabbed his hand.
    Kimberly: I can't marry half of someone. Now I know the past doesn't matter, but I need to know that you can trust me. Because I trust you. Meet me downstairs tonight at the normal time if you trust me. If you don't, I'll understand.
    I left. Throughout the day, I was constantly thinking about what might happen. I was normally a positive person, but since he was being so stubborn about this I didn't feel like he would relent. I tried to convince myself that I was being too insufferable and should apologize, but I knew I was right. He was different now, but he still had a hint of his former self left. However, the part that was left consisted entirely of heartbreak which broke my heart too. Thomas and I didn't talk at all during the day. We didn't even make eye contact.
    The time finally came. I went into the servant's hall and sat down. My heart was beating out of my chest. I decided to focus on some of the other plans to distract myself. 25 minutes, 40 minutes, an hour went by; no Thomas. The tears began to roll down my cheeks. I angrily stood and started grabbing my things from the table. I heard footsteps. I looked up and Thomas slowly walked into the room. I couldn't help but smile as he sat in the seat next to me.
    Thomas: The reason why I'm only inviting the people at Downton is that I don't keep in touch with my family; well the family I have left.  When I was 8 years old, my mother died of the flu. The only family I had left was my father and sister. My sister and I are 10 years apart so right after my mother died, she went to work in a house in the south and I haven't heard from her since.
    I sat there trying to absorb all of this information.
    Kimberly: What about your father?
    Thomas: After my sister left, he started drinking more than was good for him. The drinking caused him to have fits of rage.
His expression had changed. He looked as if he had gone back to those moments of trauma.
Thomas: At first I could avoid them. He'd drink at night after I went to bed. But the more depressed he became, the more he drank. Pretty soon whenever I saw him he had a drink in his hand. When I was 10 he...beat me for the first time.
Kimberly: First time?
He only nodded in response.
Thomas: Finally when I was 13, I grew strong enough to fight back. The beatings became full fights. After I finished school, I immediately left home. I knew they were looking for a footman at Downton so I applied there. When I started working here, everyone was so...welcoming. I hadn't experienced that my whole life. I didn't know how to respond. Then when you came and were not just welcoming but affectionate, it took me back. I had never been loved, and I hadn't felt love in a long time. That's why I had to tell you. I haven't known love like this and I don't ever want to lose it. I trust you Kimmy. And I'm in love with you.
I couldn't think of what to say. I immediately grabbed him and kissed him.
Kimberly: And I'm in love with you.
We stayed up late into the night planning the wedding and making out the invitations.
Kimberly: What kind of dress would you like me to wear?
Thomas: You could show up in your maids uniform and you'd be just as pretty as if you were wearing a ballgown.
We laughed. We were so blissful and happy. I knew that feeling would grow when we finally tied the knot.