They've Stolen Our Thunder

I slowly opened my eyes. I looked over and saw Anna doing her hair. I rubbed my eyes and sat up in a daze. Anna looked at me and laughed.
    Kimberly: What's so funny?
    Anna: You came up very late last night. Did you and Mr. Barrow dance the night away?
    Kimberly: Yes. However, I do regret that now.
    The events of the night were flashing in my mind. I couldn't believe I was engaged. I reached over to my hand and touched my finger. My heart started to race. I had completely forgotten that I had the ring on. We never discussed when we would announce anything and to whom we'd tell. I slowly slipped off my ring and tucked it in my drawer. I got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast. I sat down and looked over at Thomas. He looked at me and smiled. Throughout breakfast I was in a daze. I couldn't stop thinking about becoming a wife. Mrs. Thomas Barrow. After breakfast Thomas and I met in the courtyard.
    Thomas: So..how has your morning been nice?
    We couldn't help but laugh.
    Kimberly: So who should we tell first?
    Thomas: We can tell the servants after luncheon. Although...
    Kimberly: Although what?
    He took my hand and we sat down.
    Thomas: I know that Anna and Mr. Bates are revered by the servants and the family. The Crawleys have done a lot for them. But it most likely won't be the same with us.
    Kimberly: Why not?
    Thomas: Because I'm not very popular with anyone in this house besides you.
    Even though I knew him well, it still surprised me when he showed this much emotion.
    Kimberly: Then you will have to make them like you. And anyway, the less popular you are, the less I have to share you.
    He leaned in and we kissed. We heard the door open and we quickly moved away.
    It was time for lunch. Thomas and I both went into the servants hall and got ready to make our announcement. Just then, Mr Carson came in beaming.
    Carson: Everyone, I have an announcement to make. Mr. Crawley and Lady Mary are engaged to be married.
    Everyone cheered. Thomas and I looked at each other with disappointment. For the rest of the day, everyone was buzzing about the news of the wedding. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to add to the load by having Thomas and I be away, but I was so anxious to get married. We decided to meet in the servants hall at the end of the day to make plans.
    Kimberly: So what should we do? Should we hold off on announcing?
    Thomas: Kimmy, this is your day. You should decide.
    I smiled at him.
    Kimberly: I think we should hold off until they've left on honeymoon. They won't wait long before they get married.
             He looked at me with sadness. I could tell he was just as excited to get married as I was.
              For the next two months we prepared for Lady Mary and Mr Crawley's wedding. I made sure to observe every aspect to know what I would want for my wedding. I'd meet with Thomas and tell him what I liked and what I wanted. I could tell he was more hesitant with the planning but I didn't understand why.
              The week of the wedding was busier than the house has been for a long time. Mr Branson and Lady Sybil came from London. A lot of the servants didn't know how to respond to him now; including Mr Carson. When Mr Branson came down to say hi to us I looked over at Thomas. His eyes became as cold as they were the day I met him. I have him an even eye and he changed his expression. After dinner, went outside to the courtyard.
              Kimberly: Why do you despise Mr Branson so much?
              He flashed me an angry look.
              Thomas: Doesn't it bother you that we would outrank him now if he was still the chaeuffer?
              Kimberly: No. and Why do you care so much about position? I thought that was one of the reasons why you liked Lady Sybil. She thinks of everyone as equals.
I had backed him into a corner in this argument. He knew he would sound snobbish if he tried to argue with me so I decided to leave it be.
             Kimberly: Anyway, I've been thinking about who to invite to the wedding. I know that we're not as popular of a couple as Anna and Bates but I think most people will want to come. I'm going to invite Anna and Mr Bates.
Thomas rolled his eyes in annoyance.
             Kimberly: I think I'll give an open invitation to the family. Most of them will probably just come to the reception. I want to know what you think of inviting OBrien to the wedding.
              He thought for a moment. His expression has changed. I could tell this was going to be a hard decision for him. However I did hope that this wouldn't turn into unnecessary drama. We had finally gotten to a place where we could coexist. I was worried that if we didn't invite her, she would make our lives a living nightmare.
             Thomas: Well if we make our wedding an open invitation, it would seem deliberate if we asked her not to come. She wouldn't take kindly to that.
            Kimberly: I agree. I just don't want you to feel upset at your wedding.
            Thomas: Trust me, any unhappiness I have goes away whenever I look at you.
           I blushed and he pulled me in for a kiss.
           The day had finally come to attend Lady Mary's wedding. We all were instructed to wear our best clothes and we had to be on a very rigid schedule of events. I woke up extra early to make sure I had Lady Edith ready in time. As we went to the church, hundreds of people had lined the streets to see Lady Mary. Thomas stayed outside since he was going to open the carriage door when she arrived. We went in and took our places. I looked and saw Mr Crawley and Mr Branson chatting before the ceremony. I saw Anna and Thomas quickly walk through the door so I knew the service would begin soon. The music began and we all stood. Lord Grantham and Lady Mary slowly made their way up the aisle. She looked so beautiful and happy. She arrived to the front. I looked up at Thomas and grabbed his hand. I was so happy that soon, this occasion would be about us.