Chapter Seven

Willow

A few hours of restless sleep later, I wake up from a horrific nightmare reliving the abuse I went through as a child. My heart rate picks up, my chest tightens and I get so scared I can barely move. I need help before I have a panic attack. My brain can't seem to think of how to go get help for several minutes until I calm myself down enough to remember that Jessica is here and said I could come get her at any time if I needed her. With tears streaming down my face, I get out of bed and run into Jessica's room and see her and Faye sleeping in the bed. I quickly climb in and bury myself in Jessica's chest, trying to calm my erratic breathing. Jessica shoots up from sleep quickly and jumps into action. She fiercely wraps her arms around me and rocks me back and forth.

"Shhh, baby. Bad dream?" She asks as she gently rubs my back up and down.

I nod.

"You're safe, angel. I promise. I'm here with you, nothing is going to happen. You just need to calm down and go back to sleep, okay?"

"Too scared." I whine and grip her to me tighter.

"What about a lullaby and some nice warm milk, huh? Would that be nice?" She asks seemingly rhetorically as she continues downstairs without waiting for my reply. She starts to pull down a bottle from the cabinet but I whine in protest.

"I'm not a baby, I don't use those." I insist.

"Ok, darling. I just thought it'd be easier. How about a sippy?"

"Ok." I concede, not wanting to have to balance a normal cup. She fills it up with milk and places it in the microwave for about a minute.

After being situated on the couch with me sitting in her lap with my back against her, she wraps her arms around me and starts to sing. I start to drink the milk as her surprisingly gorgeous voice echoes throughout the room.

You are my sunshine,

My only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are gray.

You'll never know, dear,

How much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away.

My eyelids grow heavy and I set the milk to the side and turn around to place my head in her neck and I'm pulled into a dreamless sleep.

I wake up in Jessica's arms and see Faye sleeping on her other side.

"Did you sleep okay after your milk, baby?" She asks as she rubs my back gently.

"Yes, thank you. I'm sorry I woke you up and-" I woke her up so early in the morning.

"Don't apologize, my love. That's what I'm here for. I'm just glad you're okay now."

I just nod into her neck.

"Good morning, beautiful." Jessica says to Faye as she stretches herself out, practically on top of Jessica.

Today we need to make a decision unless we want a temporary caregiver. They're known for their harshness and quick tempers. With Faye and I's abusive past, we need someone gentle and patient. Especially since we're new at this.

"Could we have a few minutes to talk before we have to go back?" I ask Jessica politely.

"Of course. I'll go make us some breakfast." Jessica replies before leaving the room.

"Who do we choose, Faye?" I ask her as I grab onto her hands.

"I love both." She says. "They both make me feel so special."