"Woahhhh... What's a book?"

"O-oh they have stories! And... and.. you read them and make pictures in your mind!"

"Will you read me a story, Sungchan?" Shotaro asked, resting his head on Sungchan's shoulder.

"I will." Sungchan smiled. He heard his parents calling for him in the distance and stood up, startling the merboy. "I need to go, my parents are calling me! I'll be back soon and I'll read to you!" Shotaro waved goodbye, diving back into the lake. Sungchan grabbed his things, running over to his dad.

-

The next day was hot and humid. Sungchan decided to go swim, grabbing a book of fairytales and changing into his swimming trunks. He shouted to his parents and ran to the dock.

"Shotaro!!" He called, cupping his hands on the sides of his mouth, "Shotaro!!!" but there was no reply, no boy swimming over to him. Sungchan sighed and sat at the edge of the dock. The water was higher today, reaching up to his ankles. It was cold and splashed against the shore and dock every few seconds. Sungchan took out the book of fairytales, admiring its pink cover with little gold squiggles. He wasn't sure what they were. His Dad had bought it for him the first time they moved. Sungchan opened the book, flipping to his favorite story, Rapunzel. He loved her dress, the prince, he had even watched the movie. He wouldn't stop singing the songs, and sometimes he still sings them. He ran his fingers over the paper and began to read.

"What are you doing?" Shotaro asked, startling him.

"You're here!" Sungchan smiled, shutting the book.

"Were you waiting for me?" Sungchan nodded.

"It's really hot out, so I hope we can play in the water a little." He held up the book, "I can even read to you!" Shotaro's face lit up and he nodded. Sungchan laughed, placing the book on the dock.

"Let's go swimming!!" He cheered, grabbing the human boy's wrist and pulling him into the water.

Sungchan and Shotaro swam for hours, the merboy carrying the taller on his back and then throwing water at each other. After swimming, they sat on the dock. Sungchan read Shotaro stories while Shotaro played with his hair. When Sungchan finished the book, the laid on their backs, Sungchan's arm around the merboy.

"How old are you?" He asked, staring at the passing clouds.

"I'm thirteen. How old are you?"

"I'm twelve, but I turn thirteen soon."

"Do you think we can grow old together?"

"How would we do that? I'm a human and you're a mermaid."

"We can just live near each other! And then live until we're 999!!"

"Shotaro, humans don't live that long," Sungchan said, facing the boy.

"You don't?" He frowned, "My grandma is 932 right now."

"Humans only live until they're 80 or so."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry Shotaro. I'll stay with you as long as I live, though!"

"Really?" Shotaro smiled, Sungchan nodded.

They hung out every day, somehow never getting tired from it. Then it was time for Sungchan to start school.

"What do you mean we can't swim anymore?" Shotaro pouted, tilting his head to the side.

"I have to go to school most of the day! But on weekends we can swim!"