merboy- sungtaro

one of my classmates wrote an amazing flash fiction story, which inspired me to write this uwu.

3,200 words

~~

"Who are you?" a voice squeaked from the end of the dock. Sungchan's parents decided to move halfway across the country and buy a lakehouse. Instead of helping them move in, Sungchan had run off to the dock behind their home. He held a book tightly in his hand, running onto the dock and sitting on it. The rotting wood on the dock was warm from the sun and the water softly brushed against its bottom.

"H-hm?" Sungchan looked up from his book, scanning the area,

"I asked, who are you?" The voice said again. Sungchan stuck his bookmark, a deer surrounded by lavender, into the book, shutting it and placing it on the dock. He crawled over to the edge, looking around.

"H-Hello?" He spoke quietly, thinking he was just hearing things. Maybe this is why you shouldn't be so interested in books, it's not like everything just becomes a living fairy tale.

"Hi!" A boy said, emerging from the water, which startled Sungchan, making him fly backward. The boy pouted and tilted his head to the right, "What's wrong?"

"Wh-who are you?" Sungchan shrieked, grabbing his book and holding it in front of him as if it was a shield. He knew it wouldn't work well, but at least it was something.

"I asked that first. No fair." The boy crossed his arms.

"M-my names Sungchan... Jung Sungchan..." Sungchan lowered the book.

"I'm Shotaro! Nice to meet you!" He smiled brightly. Sungchan put the book down and crawled over to Shotaro.

"W-where do you live, Shotaro?"

"Here!"

"Where?"

"Here, in the lake!" Shotaro smiled. "Where do you live?"

"I-I'm gonna live here!" Sungchan smiled, pointing to the blue house in front of the dock.

"Woah... so cool!" Shotaro gasped.

"How do you live in the lake?" Sungchan asked, taking off his gym shoes and socks. He swung his legs over and let them hang over the dock, his toes barely touching the water.

"I don't know." Shotaro shrugged, jumping on the dock to sit like Sungchan was.

Shotaro had dirty blond hair. The tips of his hair were wet from the water and his bangs fell right over his eyebrows. He wore a neon green mesh long-sleeved shirt that fell over his waist. It looked a little large on him. He had a silver tail, the fins looked translucent in the sunlight. Sungchan could see scales over the boy's chest and arms. He assumed they were the same ones on his tail because of their silver color.

Sungchan stared in awe at the boy, how pretty he was. "A-are you a mermaid?"

"A mermaid? I'm not a maid." Shotaro pouted.

"Then what are you?"

"I'm... I'm... a- I'm a merboy." Shotaro smiled, putting his hands on his hips and puffing his chest proudly.

"Mermaid, merboy same thing." Sungchan scoffed, still admiring the boy.

"And you're a human!"

"Yeah... I am."

"What's that brick you have?" Shotaro asked, pointing at the book.

"This is a book I've been reading." Sungchan picked up the book, showing it to the boy.