smoke signals

it had been three weeks since the incident with getou happened. everyone avoided speaking about it, especially about rika. they all understood boundaries and the lines they can and cannot cross.

then again, it was more or less easier for inumaki; he can't even say anything to begin with. yet he wished he could sometimes.

not in the way of crossing boundaries, but to just have regular conversations with others rather than speaking in his stupid riceball language. not a day passes when he doesn't feel envious of his classmates' easy way of speaking.

he honestly wished he didn't have his cursed speech at all. it did more harm than it did good. and he hated it. every mission ended in a sore throat and internal bleeding. and all he'd say would be "don't move".

even though he's already a grade 2 sorcerer, inumaki still felt weaker compared to maki and panda; they had so much more endurance and stamina than he thought he'd ever have. even yuuta; he was weaker now, but he was a special grade; his strength would be all of theirs combined times five when he reached his full potential.

if only he was born normal....

"toge!"

inumaki turned to the call of his name to see panda, maki, and yuuta all looking at him. "we're gonna go get something to eat, wanna come?" panda asked.

inumaki hesitated for a moment. "okaka." he shook his head, then headed for his room. he wasn't really in the mood to go out at the moment.

yuuta looked back at the other two, who only knowingly rolled their eyes. "what's up with him?" yuuta asked them.

"he's probably being all sad." maki replied. "when he's down, he doesn't like being around everyone else and goes off to his room. what he's sad about, i haven't got a clue, but it doesn't matter. he usually gets over it relatively quickly."

"it's best to just let him be." panda added. "give him an hour or two."

yuuta looked back at the path inumaki left on, concern painting his face. "y'know, i think i'll stay here, too." he said to the others, who booed in response. "i'll keep him company if you don't come back soon."

maki shrugged. "suit yourself. come on, panda."

when the two were out of sight, yuuta blatantly disobeyed their advice and headed for where inumaki went off to.

there were faint remnants of small footprints along the gravel path, which he followed down to the pond, the courtyard, and then up the stairs to the dorms. the prints stopped where the stairs began, considering they were made of wood.

yuuta entered the dorm building, fully aware of which hallway belonged to each year. he took a right to go down the first year hall, where he passed his own room, maki's, panda's, and then finally found inumaki's room. the door was closed, and it was silent on the other end.

taking in a breath, he quietly knocked on the door.

no answer.

"inumaki-kun," yuuta tried again, knocking once more. "it's yuuta."

the sound of rustling and footsteps was heard from behind the door, and it wasn't long until the door slid open, revealing a small toge. his collar had been taken off, and his cursed snake and fangs seal was visible.

yuuta couldn't help but stare at the snake and fangs seal for a few seconds longer than normal.

"kombu." he greeted the other boy.

yuuta smiled in response, clearing his thoughts. "hi, inumaki-kun." he said warmly. "can i come in?"

inumaki narrowed his eyes as he hesitated before he said a quiet "shake", opening the door wider to let yuuta in.