Chapter 8 - Hide and Seek

Kayla's POV

I love New York! I understand why mommy comes here so often, I would like to live here forever. After lunch we walked to an ice cream parlor and ate on the patio. I got an ice cream cone with two scoops and sprinkles. As we ate we watched people walk by. I have never seen so many people in one place. Something is always happening. I saw a man on the corner who dressed and acted like a silver statue. The buildings that surround us look like they go on forever. It's strange that there isn't much grass except in this one area called Central Park. Mommy led us there to play until dinner time. I waved to her and she smiled and waved back. I am playing hide and go seek with Owen; it will be my turn to hide soon. Owen turned to face the tree and I ran to find a hiding spot. I hid under the bench behind mommy's legs. While I was hiding I heard her phone ring from her purse. It took her a few seconds to find it, but when she did she stood up and walked away to answer it. Owen found me immediately. I was mad that she ruined my hiding spot. I started walking towards her to complain, but I didn't continue forward. I could tell that she was talking to someone important. I'm not supposed to interrupt work calls, so I kept playing with Owen.

Taylor's POV

I took Owen and Kayla to Central Park to tire them out before going back to the appartment. I knew they were already tired from walking so much, but I figured they would enjoy the park. Kayla started a game of hide and go seek. Right before she went to hide she waved to me. I smiled and waved back. Finally, I got some quiet time to myself. Just as a began relaxing my phone started to ring. I dug around in my purse looking for my phone. By the time I found it, my phone had already sent the caller to voicemail. I automatically hit the re-dial button assuming that it was my manager who called me. My phone rang two times before I looked at who I was calling. By the time the name registered in my mind, it was too late to hang up. A familiar British voice answered my call.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" asked the person on the other end.

"Uh, hi. I'm here. You called me a few minutes ago."

"Right, that I did. Well, I heard that you were in New York for the week and I thought maybe we could get together in the studio or something."

"How did you know I was in New York, and may I ask what you are doing here?"

"The paparazzi took pictures of you arriving at the airport this morning. I am glad to see that you and the little ones are doing well."

"I guess you could say that. You still haven't answered my question as to why you are in the city."

"I am in town to do some song writing with a few other artists. I thought maybe you would want to co-write a few songs for a new album."

"It's very kind of you to offer, but I am here for other reasons."

"Well whatever your reason I hope you can find a time to meet with this week. You can choose where. You can even bring the kids if you have to."

"I'll have to think about what I will do with the kids, but I know I can find time to meet with you. How about tomorrow at the clubhouse for lunch?"

"Sounds perfect. It will be on me."

"Well, I suppose I will see you tomorrow."

"Bye."

I hung up, and stood as still as a statue for a few moments. I couldn't even put into words what had just happened. I'll have time to think about this later, but right now I needed to get the kids home for dinner.

"Kayla, please find your brother. It is getting late, we are going home for dinner." I called out.

"Okay," she replied.

I sat on the bench for a few minutes looking at my phone, waiting for something new to happen. My screen stayed blank. I turned it on to check the time. Five minutes had passed; neither Kayla nor Owen had come back yet. I scanned the park looking for them. When I couldn't see them I got worried. I shoved my phone into my back pocket and started walking briskly around the park searching for my children. I kept calling Kayla's name. I got no response. I could only pray that the two were together because Owen would never be able to hear me call for him. I stopped for a moment to take out my phone. I showed every person I walked by a picture of my kids asking if they had seen them. No one had. The sun was setting quickly. I needed to find them before it got dark.

I quickened my pace. Where would they have gone? They couldn't have gone far. If only I had been paying more attention. Would someone have kidnapped my kids? Horrible thoughts started flooding my mind. "Kayla! Owen!" I screamed with all I had left. This is a nightmare.