Chapter 12

He was being made a cup of strong tea back in Hagrid's hut, with Ron and Hermione.

"It was Snape," Ron was explaining, "Hermione, Tracey and I saw him. He was cursing your broomstick, muttering, he wouldn't take his eyes off you."

"Rubbish," said Hagrid, who hadn't heard a word of what had gone on next to him in the stands.

"Why would Snape do somethin' like that?"

Harry, Ron, Tracey and Hermione looked at one another, wondering what to tell him.

"I found out something about him," he told Hagrid. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween. It bit him. We think he was trying to steal whatever it's guarding." Hagrid dropped the teapot.

"How do you know about Fluffy?" he said.

"Fluffy?"

"That thing has a name?" Ron said in shock.

"Yeah - he's mine - bought him off an Irish fella I met in the pub las' year - I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the -"

"Yes?" said Harry eagerly.

"Shouldn't have said that. No more questions, don't ask anymore questions."

"But Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding Snape's trying to steal it." Ron said.

"But Tracey and I don't know if he's the one stealing it. He was friends with mum when they were at school. You probably know that already though."

He nodded.

"And she said to trust him. I guess he owes dad a life debt from saving him from something in their sixth year. So since we're in school he's gonna take it with us." Harry said.

He and Tracey knew what it was for. Their parents told them so if something happened they wouldn't be confused why Snape would try to help or protect them.

"I heard 'bout that a few weeks after it happened. Remus, James and Peter ignored Sirius for months. He tried to apologize to Remus but still didn't accept it." he said.

"He did eventually. About six months after that happening. Which I'm really surprised about. I wouldn't accept an apology." Tracey said while Harry nodded.

"I still think Snape did it." Ron said.

"Now you listen to me, all four of you, you're medaling' with things that aren't meant to be medaled in. What that dog is guarding belongs to Professor Dumbledore an' Nicolas Flamel —"

"Nicolas Flamel?" Harry said.

"I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that, I shouldn't have said that." Hagrid repeated.

"Nicolas Flamel, who's Nicolas Flamel?" Harry asked.

"Don't know." Hermione said.