Chapter 6: Pressed Poppy's in a Love Letter

Start from the beginning

Rei nodded. "Yes, yes darling. Your too smart for your own good. But, here's another one. What would happen if the sun never set?"

That confused him.
If the sun never set?
Tricky.

"I don't know papa," Arlo whined. He hated not knowing. Rei patted his sons head.

"Its alright. Well, if the sun never set, then the light spirits would collect together and burn us all alive."

Arlo whimpered. "B-burn us a-alive? T-that sounds b-bad!"

Rei planted a kiss on his sons forehead and sat at the window side.

"Its okay sunshine, no need to fear. Remember, I will always here, no matter what."

~*~

' I will always be here ' huh? That was a boldface lie.

He was young, and naive, of course a father would make a promise like that.

That was when he was on the lower floors. Ever since that day he would wake up just in time to see the sun peek over the hills for a brand new day to begin.

~*~

Johns P.O.V~

He shivered at his kings throne side under his cloak. He honestly didn't expect today to be so cold. His feet shifted. He spared a glance at Adrion. He looked perfectly fine. His amour was probably weighing him down. John couldn't fathom the thought of wearing amour. Those plates looks so heavy. And all the clanking when you tried to move? Never.

He and Adrion were taking their break at 10, but sadly,  Adrion was called back by Arlo to escort him to his bedchamber, which was 14 flights of stairs up on the 15th floor of the palace. Adrion couldn't say no, so he bid his friend goodbye and walked on his own.

The rain poured heavily on the palaces roof. John walked alone. He stopped from time to time, the architecture was too beautiful to ignore. The gaping ceilings, the rooms, down to the furniture and walls were just stunning. He could get lost in here and wouldn't complain.

He walked through open halls, glancing to the left of him to see the gardens of honeysuckle flowers blossoming on the wall. The bluebells in their pots and poppy's in fresh soil.

~*~

He sat at the edge of of a staircase, sharpening his dagger, when another servant came bouncing down the stairs and crashing into him.

BANG!
CRASH!
THUMP!

Johns head hit the three times in the tumble. The first was a hard THUD! The second was a muffled, wet CRACK! The third drew a copious amount of blood the soiled his cloak and shirt underneath.

"Ugh, goodness gracious...." The person mumbled, scratching the back of their head. John looked up.

It was Isen, the Jacks guard and second in command of the newspaper.

He wore a traditional knights wear from the waist down. Upwards, he wore a white vest with blotches of black and blue ink stains.

John bowed in apology, ignoring the mind numbing pain in the back of his head, and started picking up the orangette's papers which were strewn about the hall.

"I don't think sitting at the edge of the steps was the greatest idea," He groaned, gathering some papers. "You alright? It sounded like you hit the back of you're head quite hard on the floor there."

John shook his head, bringing more pain. He handed the papers the Isen and began to turn when he was stopped.

"I don't think I caught you're name before, when i showed you to you're quarters. I'm Isen Eliot, you are?" He held out a hand and John shook it hesitantly.