Chapter 9: As you walk your path, darkness may come

Kim Minju's POV:

Yujin and I arrived around midnight when everyone else were already asleep. After our Ferris wheel ride, we decided to talk about how she really felt about Wonyoung and how she understood the girl, but how she also wanted everyone to know that they were dating. Yujin was insecure because of her family's standing and how she was accepted in IZ*ONE U by track scholarship.  Yujin headed to her room which she shared with Wonyoung and I decided to dip my feet in the pool and get some fresh air to recollect my thoughts and my now broken heart once again. As much as I liked her romantically, I was her unnie first and foremost. I had to place my feelings aside again.

"Why are you like this, Kim Minju?" I asked myself and whisked my reflection that was reflected by the pool's clear water

FLASHBACK

"I'm in love with Jang Wonyoung, unnie and we've been dating since two years ago," Yujin told me as her eyes began to water. 

My hunch was right that they were dating, but I was naïve. I told myself that they were just best friends who've known each other for so long and that I had a chance with Yujin. I felt like my heart broke again just like before. 

"I'll be here to listen, Yujinie," I walked over to her side and sat beside her, giving her a comforting side hug.

"Unnie, its just that I know how much pressure Wonyoung's family place on her... especially her mother," she sighed and ran her hand through her hair, "her mom also hates my family but my dad has it worse because what Wonyoung doesn't know is that my parents and her mom used to be those cliché high school trios; wherein, her mom used to date my dad but then he cheated on her with my mom and then dad needed somewhere to go not telling Wonyoung's mom that he was married to my mom and used her to get a job at their place."

"Woah," Yujin nodded at me, "and Wonyoung never knew?"

"Yes, because her dad doesn't know either and her mom just pretends that she had no past relationship with my parents," Yujin sighed again and hung her head against the window pane.

"That's some family history..."

"I know," Yujin just smiled sadly at me

"Do you hate your parents... I mean... you know," I asked as she placed her hands behind her head and leaned back.

"No," I was startled by her answer, "who would ever want to hate their parents? I mean I couldn't really stop them from what they did in the past and they're doing everything they can for me now," she looked up and I realized how she was trying to stop her tears from falling.

"Yujinie, you can st-"

"It's just unfair, unnie," a tear fell from her eye, "it hurts so much because sometimes I wonder what life would have been like, if they at least did their best when they were young because right now it hurts so much. I always envied Wonyoung before because she had everything yet she hated her mother and I get why, but sometimes life is just so unfair," it hurt seeing Yujin like this because her bright and happy smile was nowhere to be found, "unnie, I'm trying but why doesn't it seem enough. Unnie, wae?"