evelyn elizabeth kennedy

"Evie is next, coming in at 12 years old. She's nobody's girl but nanny's, or my mom, her relationship with her is so strong and so special."

Evelyn woke up to the sun shining bright in her face and her grandmother's spot by her side. She had fallen asleep in her bed, worried sick about her.

"I think she probably took mom's diagnosis harder than she did when the cancer spread. But like always she wouldn't let Evie get down, so she tied that pink ribbon in her hair and told her to get back out there. It's been history ever since."

"Well look who decided to sleep with Nanny last night" Jackie walked into her mother's room, giving Evie a little kiss on the head. She looked around the room confused as the mother tried her best to calm her.

"Nanny's downstairs, she hasn't gone anywhere, just didn't wanna wake you up when the nurse came this morning" The women grabbed a blanket or two and looked back to the girl who rubbed her eyes tiredly sitting on the edge of the bed.

"But, I'm sure she'd like some company now.." Jackie smiled and so did Evie, just waiting for her mother's "approval" to run down the stairs and into the warming arms of the women she probably loved the most.

"Good morning Evie girl!" Janet roared looking over the couch back and to the 12 year old.

For the last couple weeks Jackie had come to help around Hammersmith, things were getting done, but in reality, she just needed a break from all 12 girls. She loved them oh so much, but she was oh so tired.

And Evelyn always went with, as a nanny's girl, she never bothered Janet and was so helpful when needed. At such a hard diagnosis, the daughter really figured Eve could brighten things up around the farm. And what she thought was absolutely true, in the couple of weeks they had been there, Janet never seemed to stop smiling in the presence of her granddaughter.

"So, today is the big day babe! The qualifier prix! How are you feeling?" She asked while extending the blanket for the girl to climb in beside her on the couch.

"Okay I guess." Eve replied as Jackie's eyes went narrow.

"She's a gentle kid believe it or not, just super competitive. Her walls are lined with ribbons from just about anywhere her daddy will take her to compete, but she only cares about that one. Her future is already set out for her and really, it can only go straight up and out into the world from here!"

"That doesn't sound like my Eve." Jackie walked through with a hamper in her arm. She touched the girls forehead funnily.

"You don't have a fever."

"I just-"

"I'll be there." Janet looked to her, cutting the girl off.

"Really?!" Eve sat up and looked to the women, her vibe changing drastically in a second.

"Of course, I mean I have a chance to watch my girl do what she's oh so amazing at! I can't pass up that chance!" Janet smiled so big as her daughter began to piece together the sudden mood change.

Jackie nodded as she headed out of the room, knowing deep down that was what was getting the girl down.

"Well.. what are you waiting for? Go on, go get dressed and I'll do you hair!" The grandmother smiled big as Evie ran back up the stairs.

As the door shut the smile faded and Janet fell backward on the couch. Jackie still wasn't sure about her mother's decision.

"Mom are you sure you can do this?" Jackie asked as Janet sighed.

This was the only the 100th time Jackie had asked that question that day.

"She'll understand, I promise, she's Evie" Once again the women reassured.