naomi nell kennedy

"I'll let Jack take this one."

"Nelly girl, my girl. Standing at a whopping 6 feet tall & just 16 years old. She's the tomboy of the family. From the moment she walked, she ran, she kicked, and she swam. She plays starting positions on both of the highschool boys water polo and football teams, the only girl to ever try out, and the only girl to ever make it. She's very honest, maybe a little bit too honest sometimes, and is just like me to a T. Described by friends and family as fearless, stubborn, charming, and sarcastic, you can find her anywhere with me or with Bob all the while keeping us on our toes the entire time."

Naomi Kennedy barreled through the house kicking the soccer ball with Charlotte on a normal Saturday morning.

"Naomi Nell Kennedy so help me if that ball hits another one of my lamps!" Jackie yelled loudly as the girl snatched the ball up off the hardwoods quickly, acting as if nothing had just happened.

Charlie and her shared a little giggle as the mother turned away.

"Breakfast!" She yelled as the girls that were awake headed to the table.

At 7:45 AM on a Saturday, that number was limited.

Made up of the kids that had practices, games, recitals, or just plans, gathered together on weekends.

"Alright so we've got Lucy, Nelly, Julie, Charlie, and Hattie this morning. Lucy is off to the community center for dance classes this morning. Nelly your with papa for the day, 2 games right?" At the head sat Jacqueline Kennedy, the real runner of the house.

Jack had nothing on her.

"Yes ma'am"

"We'll be there for the second one, but until then you and papa have a date." A smile spread on the girl's face as Jack took a break from the newspaper to high-fived his mini me.

"Yeah okay then, that's a set up for trouble. Anyways, Julie is off to Granny's today to help with the new family quilt, talked to her last night, she's so excited you can help this year. Charlie has a game a little later but decided to get up to help me with Katie this morning. And finally we've got Hattie, Meave is home so she gets to take you to treatments this morning, are you excited for a day with big sister?" Jackie always tried to include Hattie, no matter what.

"Uh- huh" Quickly Hattie shook her head while scarfing oatmeal down her throat and, right on time, Meave appeared downstairs.

"Oh yeah, me and Hattie are gonna have the best time, right kiddo?" In reality, the day would be filled with pain, but the Kennedy's always talked about the treatments positively.

She kissed the girl on the forehead, taking the toothbrush out of her mouth quickly.

"Oh lord MK, you're getting toothpaste on your sister!" Jack laughed as the 9 year old wiped the minty paste from her head laughing along with her father.

The table laughed before making small talk as the sun rose over the beach in the distance.

Definitely a plus on living in Hyannis.

"Breakfast Meave?" Jackie asked as the young women shook her head, she had been up for hours.

"No I had my shake, thanks though mommy. Hattie you ready to go?" They had a long drive, but before anything else was said, kisses were exchanged and the first 2 where out of the house.

Then came watching Julie walk across the way to the Big House and Lucy leaving in her car.

Finally she was left with,

"Alrighty you two stooges. You're alone for the better half of the day together. Don't, and I mean don't, get into trouble, or be late. Have fun" Jack laughed as the two fist pumped before exchanging goodbyes with the mother and wife.

The car pulled away soon after, and in a way Jackie Kennedy could take a breath. 5 out of the house, 7 to go. But as she finished the dishes in ran 3 year old Katie, "Mommy I'm hungry!"

Definitely was an oatmeal kind of morning.

Meanwhile Jack and Nelly jammed out to there favorites. Lots of Aerosmith, Journey, and Foreigner.

8:45 AM flashed the car's radio as Jack pulled into the local YMCA.

"Okay first stop, water polo practice till 10 right?" Jack asked as Nelly smiled.

"Yep, your gonna go work out?"

"Uh huh. We'll meet up somewhere in between" The two got out of the car and walked confidently side by side, everybody knew of the father daughter duo.

"Kiddo!" Jack turned around, forgetting about one little thing.

"Kick some ass, take some names" He fist pumped the girl as she nodded with her father's charming smile.

The two went their separate ways, but came together right on time later on in the morning.

"And she thought we'd be late!" Nelly exclaimed proudly as she looked down to her watch.

10:01 clicked past and Jack smiled.

"How was practice LJ?" The nickname given to Naomi so long ago, meaning Little Jack.

"We kicked some ass and took some names" She smiled as Jack pulled back into the road.

"Hells yeah, that's my girl!" He exclaimed happily.

"Alright, we're gonna eat, then we gotta swing by the house, grab Charlie then off to the fields for the rest of the day." He briefed the daughter as she nodded, ringing out her hair with a towel.

"Car picnic? Me and you papa?" Nelly asked as he looked in the backseat.

Reminded her of the old days when it was just the first 5 & the 16 year old truly had her father wrapped around her finger.

"Your mother packed our favorite" And in that moment, the happiness that filled the girl was so great.

And as they pulled into there favorite spot near the beach, Jack and his daughter shared an early lunch.

It had been so long since they had a date together, always picnics.

"I mean, peanut butter and jelly and just me and you, can't get better than this" Nelly looked out to the waves as Jack smiled.

Out of all the girls, Nelly was obviously his favorite, but he tried not to show that too boldly on the day to day.

"I'm glad we can do this Nells, I miss it, I miss you." He added as the girl looked to her father.

She had grown up too fast.

"I miss you too papa, we're both just so busy. You work all the time and when your home I have games or practice or these days I'm campaigning with Uncle Ted. There's just not enough time in the day." She sighed tiredly throwing her head back onto the headrest of the car seat.

"Oh I know kiddo, 12 girls later, you have to find that out the hard way." He sighed while finishing the sandwich and starting on his apples.

"Oh and I saw that speech the other day, in Massachusetts, oh Naomi, I was so proud. It was quite literally perfect. No slips, complete confidence, and the smile, it looked like I was giving it" Jack bragged on himself as Nelly laughed and nudged her father a little.

"Oh yeah, only learn from the best"

And with that the clock shown 10:37.

"Off to get Charlie" Jack put the car in drive, wishing he could stay in the moment forever.

But quickly he slipped his sunglasses on and rolled the windows down.

"Malady?" He offered a second pair of shades as Aerosmith's Rag Doll began to blast.

"Don't mind if I do"

1274 words