Fourteen

Moet slipped down my throat gently, washing down my shyness and inhibitions. After a few glasses, it tasted like heaven on earth. Or the hidden hell that disguised itself so thoroughly that not even the purest of men could recognise it.

Or maybe I was just getting drunk. Which made my mind go all poet.

And apparently, my body all dirty, because I clang to Chiara like I never held a person close in my entire life. Her body swayed next to mine to the rhythm of the music, while I drank like crazy, trying to shush my mind.

The previous exhilaration slowly turned to utter drunkenness as people stumbled through the terrace. I realised most of them were probably high as kites, but I decided I didn't care. The beat overwhelmed my ears and I felt it everywhere in my body, demanding me to move in the rhythm.

I stared at her glimmering skin under the lights, the beams of sweat forming on her forehead and those floral earrings jumping up and down with her movements. Other girls didn't let this loose, they watched over their makeup, their heels and their dresses. But Chiara was like a ball of energy that didn't care who spilled Moet on her or if her mascara ended up smudged.

Chiara intertwined her fingers with mine. The sensation spread from my fingers all through my body. I caught her gaze, my mouth slightly open, and stared at her, unsure what to do.

My feet stopped moving. I was too lost in her eyes, which turned from green to golden under the illumination. Why was she so captivating?

Before I managed to convince my legs we were dancing, Chiara pulled me by the hand over to the red lounges in the corner of the terrace. People mostly made out there. As I realised where we were headed, everything within me began to tingle.

There was no way I was ready for this. No fucking way.

The loud bass stopped, replaced by a deeper, more sensual sound. It was contagious and the battle in my mind raged. What the hell was I supposed to do? All I knew was that I wanted to kiss her. I wanted to grab her and lean her against the wall.

Ah, shit, Jackie, get a grip.

Her eyes were visibly clouded, still they searched mine like every corner of my eyes was a piece of the puzzle she wanted to solve.

"You're really pretty." She said suddenly and my heart stopped beating, my lungs stopped taking in oxygen.

"Uh..." I let out an awkward laugh, "I don't know, but thanks." I tried to hide my embarrassment with a smile, but I probably looked like I was scared out of my wits.

"You are! And I think people don't say it enough." She lifted her hair up, revealing her elegant neck tickled by floral earrings.

"You are too." I said, embarrassment crawling up my face, colouring it red. I didn't know what to say and returning the compliment sounded like the safest option. Chiara glanced at me and smiled, just a smidge of something else underneath the perfect smile.

She downed the content of her glass.

"I think I'm drunk enough now."

Tonight, when I'm drunk enough, I dare you to kiss me.

I wanted to kiss her. Gosh, I wanted to kiss her so badly. But-

"Where's Josh?" The question left my mouth involuntarily.

"Around." Chiara's relaxed shoulders suddenly stiffened and her chirpy voice lacked the enthusiasm. "Let's just dance!" Just a teeny tiny bit of frustration peaked through the carefree facade.

I decided to let it go and let her hands sneak around my waist again. Before we could move back to the dancefloor, another pair of hands found its way around my waist and Chiara pulled me closer to her. I turned my head and saw two guys trying to get in on the fun. I laughed at them, damning the alcohol for stripping me of my self-control.

"Come on, Chiara, we just want to dance!" One of them, the blue-eyed boy with a skin couple of shades darker than mine and a face that angels carved, said. His smile was drunk and sincere. His friend, the blond one with a tougher, edgier jawline smiled at me provocatively.

"No, she's all mine for the night!" Chiara laughed and pulled me even closer, gluing her body to mine, sending shockwaves through every spot she touched.

"Sharing is caring!" The blond one burst out laughing like he told the world's funniest joke. "I'm Aiden!" He basically screamed in my ear.

"Carlos!" The other one introduced himself and even offered a hand, which I politely took.

"I'm Jackie!"

Chiara let go off my waist but her hand found mine and I had to keep myself from gasping at the contact.

"Do you, girls, want to have a drink?" Carlos asked, smiling at us lopsidedly. I wondered how many drinks he had prior to this conversation. Chiara arched her eyebrow at me and I tried to speak with my eyes. No, I didn't want to have a drink with them. I wanted to keep dancing with her.

"No, thanks, we're fine." She answered, but the two guys weren't ready to give up.

Aiden's hand sneaked around my waist again and Chiara pulled me even closer. Carlos simply frowned, but his face relaxed into a smug smile.

"I thought you'd be more willing." Carlos said through the smile. "Considering your boyfriend is." He glanced somewhere behind us.

Chiara's head snapped in the direction he was looking at. Her mouth fell open and her eyes widened. I turned around and saw it.

Josh was far away on the dancefloor, tongue deep in some blonde's mouth.

Chiara stumbled away from me and I caught her before she twisted her ankle or something. I watched her throat bob as she swallowed and, almost falling over her feet, ran from the terrace. I turned back towards Josh, just to make sure I didn't imagine it.

His tongue was still down the girl's throat and his right hand was groping her boob, while he tried to push her hand on his crotch. I felt sick to my stomach, but I gathered myself and went to find Chiara.

Cheating on your girl was one thing. But shamelessly cheating on her right in front of her eyes? That was the level of savagery I haven't yet come across.

Even though said girl told me to kiss her tonight.

I caught a glimpse of Chiara marching out of the house and I followed. The silence that took place once the terrace door closed behind me made me realise just how drunk I was. The living room spun as I tried to navigate through it. Chiara was much better at walking in heels than I was, so I awkwardly ran, making small steps to keep myself from falling.

Our limo was parked in front of the house and I wondered if the driver was instructed to wait all night. Chiara slipped inside, disappearing behind the black stained glass. I followed, having zero clue what to tell her. She sat in the corner, leaned onto her hand, small water drops decorating her face. But her expression was blank, no anger, no shock.

"Chiara, I'm sorry." I murmured, unsure what else to say or do.

"It's not your fault, no need to apologize." She cut me off. This must have been what sadness looked like, I thought as I watched her. A girl sitting alone surrounded by wealth, lonely, abandoned.

"He's a jerk." I tried the usual sentence, but Chiara laughed bitterly.

"Yeah, that pretty much sums up the bastard." What surprised me was how unfazed she was. Sure, her cheeks were covered in tears, but her eyes were empty, disappointed, even.

Before I could say anything else, she took another golden bottle of champagne from the mini-fridge. She opened it harshly, the liquid spilling out of the bottle all over her red jumpsuit. She swallowed a couple of huge gulps.

A certain unsteadiness rolled off her, so potent it sent my emotions spiralling. Suddenly, all I wanted was to go home and forget I ever walked into this party.

"Well, are you coming in or not?" Her eyes snapped at me.

My only opportunity, I thought. This might be my only opportunity. Tomorrow, I would wake up and continue existing in my own world, without the champagne and drama and diamonds.

And I wasn't ready to let it go.