Really Harrison?

Monday brings a different start to the week for all of us. Everyone is beginning to take notice that I'm not with Colin at all today. People are talking about me and him more than ever today.

I've seen him a couple times already. He's with some blonde now. I suppose I couldn't care less. I don't really miss someone who cheated on me. I do feel sorry for her though.

Talk about my "pregnancy" has diminished now. However, none of the others are talking to me. I wish they would. If the rumor isn't true, and they believe that now, what's going on? Why won't they talk to me? I go through the motions of the day, not really paying attention or listening to all the boring lectures, speeches, or anything in general.

I hurry to the bus to sit next to Tucker. I sit by the window since he's not on yet. I place my backpack in the space beside me until he gets on. He sits and kisses my cheek. I smile and look at my feet.

"What's the matter?" he asks.

"Nothing. I'm just really tired today."

"Are you sure? You look upset."

"Just a little," I answer. "You know they're still ignoring me, right?"

"Yeah I know. They'll have to get over it sooner or later."

"Hopefully it's sooner," I mumble. He gives me a weak smile, and I stare out the window.

The rest of the ride is silent other than the other noisy kids riding the bus too. All seven of us quietly, and somewhat nervously, make our way home, going our separate ways without turning our backs.

I walk in the house to the fresh smell of cookies. Tucker, Harrison, and I head to the kitchen, and my mom is pulling a second batch of cookies out of the oven. Both boys grab a cookie off the plate, thank her, and go upstairs. I sit around at the counter with a glass of milk.

"Hey, sweetie," she says. "How was your day?"

"The same. It never seems to change."

"You seem upset. What's on your mind?" I sigh heavily.

"It's a long story."

"I've got time," she replies. I bite the inside of my cheek, debating whether or not I should spill it all or forget some of the huge secrets...

"Okay. So you know how Colin and I were dating?"

"Were?'" she asks in disbelief.

"I'll get there, but we were. He was really forceful with me when he was mad. I didn't do what he wanted or anything. But I found bruises on me, and I got scared. They're gone, and he was back to normal for a long time. So then someone started a rumor at school that I was pregnant. I wasn't, and I'm not now. So then Addy, Ella, and the others didn't believe me. Tucker was the only one who believed me. So after it died down a little, the biggest football game of the year happened. Then I went to an after party, went outside to get some air, came back, and found Colin making out with another girl. So I ran to tell Tucker, and somehow we ended up kissing. And now I'm here telling you every single detail because I'm so stressed, and I don't know what to do anymore."

I take a deep breath and release it slowly. Mom studies me carefully through squinted eyes. She hands me another cookie.

"Momma, forget the cookie. Please say something," I plead.

"What's there to say, Baby? You handled yourself pretty well."

"Huh?"

"You dealt with it, somewhat. Now about the others, you should just get them together and talk to them all. But I somehow knew you and Tucker would have your moment. It's almost inevitable to love your best friend once in your life. But what confuses me is this- Why didn't you say something earlier?"