My eyes floated up those two extra inches and watched her work. Momentarily, of course, before she nudged my arm and reminded me that I was supposed to be drying. "And what do you mean by that?"

Jane scrubbed a cup and rinsed the water off. "The first time we met you were this shy little thing and when you did speak to me your words were so rushed and quiet I could barely hear you." She chuckled, "What was that? Four years ago? Your sister was so embarrassed for me to be meeting her family that night." I rolled my eyes, "How is she anyway?"

"She's fine." I swallowed.

Tossing the rag I took those few steps back into the living room where my bag sat and dug around until I found my wallet. I recounted the money before shoving it away.

"Where are you going?" Her voice was stern like in the few seconds between here and the kitchen she became upset or angry. It frightened me but my desire to leave was much stronger than any fear I had.

"Thank you for letting me stay the night but I don't want to cause any trouble."

She leaned against a bookshelf that divided the spaces and crossed her arms. There was a slight furrow in her brows. "Florence you staying here isn't any bother. I offered you my home."

I felt like, in some strange way, I was being punished for wanting to leave.

"Stay." She said, approaching me with the same chill she brought in from the bar last night, little bumps coated me when her fingers traced my arm.

The fear, the concern, it all left. I placed my bag back down and sat at the edge of the bed, feeling awkward. "I don't want you to think I don't appreciate all of this and I'll pay you back as soon as I can."

She waved her hands in the air like there was a nearby swarm of bees. "No need."

"Do you mind if I sleep?" I asked.

Her fingers smoothed some of the hair that was on my forehead away. "Of course not. I have some errands to run anyway." With that she disappeared behind the staircase.

I pushed back the cover and pulled the blanket over my shoulder. In the daylight I could make out the furniture that last night had all just been a mess of shadows.

There was a large bookshelf, the top seemed to be a collection while the rest ranged from size to color. Here and there, there were a few nic-nacs. A picture frame or a sculpture of some sort. There was no tv, so the walls were bare, except the occasional painting or tapestry. A portion of the back wall was just a window, overlooking the green field that met with the sky. I think that was my favorite thing in the room.

There were two chairs, one green with an ugly, fringed skirt, and another that was bigger and red, fading to pink. In the middle there was this little wooden table with a ultramarine blue vase and fake sunflowers, a book at it's side. There was a maroon and plum Persian rug beneath it all, the colors somehow mixing together in a beautiful, outdated mess.

It really didn't seem to be Jane's style. Though of only knowing her (if that was even fair to say) for less than a day, my judgement on what she would've liked or not was weak. She choose to be here, so something in this chaos must've called out to her.

I looked out of the window again, a breeze tossing the grass this way and that. The clouds moved and the sun wavered. Maybe it would rain, it was the start of Summer and evening showers were to be expected.

I heard Jane slip out the door, probably thinking I was already asleep and not wanting to do anything to wake me. I decided, with the night I had, it would be better if I did put myself to rest for awhile and try again when I'd wake up.