I'm Not Chloe

Sat on the sofa, your legs lying beside you as you read from the book you had bought a few days prior.

You're currently waiting for Lucifer to get back to his apartment, as he'd disappeared a few days ago, the only explanation was a text from him saying 'at work, can't talk'.

You chewed on the sleeve of your jumper as you read the story, it was at the point where the detective professed their love to their partner who'd been after them for a long time. Seemed a bit... close to home.

You hear the familiar ding of the penthouse's elevator. Raising your head from the book, your (e/c) eyes looking over. The suit bearing devil prances into the room, mumbling under his breath slightly.

He starts walking through the apartment and towards the bedroom, not even sparing you glance, even after all of your texts, reminding him you were there.

Your eyebrows furrow in confusion. Why was he ignoring you? Were you being too clingy? No, no way.

Before he could walk into the bedroom, you gently call out, "Hey, how was work?"

Slightly startled, Lucifer spins around to look at you. His eyes show confusion, before he starts to walk towards you.

"Oh you know, the usual, darling," he replies, shrugging and sitting next to you. You hum in response as you place the book down in your lap.

You lean against his side, resting your head on his shoulder. Unlike usual, Lucifer didn't wrap his arm around you, nor did he really take any notice of you.

"What's wrong?" You ask, your hand gently caressing his clothed chest to try and calm him.

He sighs and runs his hand over his face. "Well, the Detective was so focused on the case she barely even noticed me!"

"Sounds familiar..." You sigh, your eyes downcast.

Almost as if he hadn't heard you, he continues, "It's like Chloe doesn't care for me anymore. It's like I'm invisible!"

"Luci..."

"She's just... you know, Chloe!"

"Luci, stop, please..."

"She's amazing and I'm amazing, why can't she see that were perfect together?"

"Lucifer! Shut up, just for one second!"

Lucifer jumps, snapping out of his rant. He looks down at you, his eyebrows furrowed.

"And what's got your feathers ruffled, dear?"

You pull away from leaning against him, wrapping your arms around your body as you stare at the floor.

"Darling, what is it?" He asks, moving to gently place his hand on your back. You flinch away from his touch, causing the immortal to look more concerned.

"Could you just stop?" You reply, your body shaking as you tighten your grip on your arms. "Stop talking about her."

"What? But you asked, darling. I was only-"

"Oh, you were only!" You tell, standing up and pacing away from the devil.

"What had gotten into you?" He asks incredulously, standing up from the sofa after you.

"You only ever talk about her! Chloe this, Chloe that!"

"And what's so wrong with that, hm?"

"Because I'm not Chloe!"

"And why does that matter?" He asks, glaring at you.

"Because I'm the one who loves you!" You snap, looking at him with tears in your eyes. "I-I'm the one  who loves you, alright. B-but I'm not good enough for you, b-because I'm not Chloe! I'm not special! I'm not... I'm not special..."

You slump onto the floor, your hands clasping at your hair as tears fall down your cheeks, hiccuping on a small sob.

"Oh darling..." Lucifer sighs, moving to pull you into his arms. He gently rubs your back as you sob into his neck. "You are special. You're human, and you're the boyfriend of the devil, doesn't exactly say normal now does it?"

You chuckle slightly through your crying, before gently pulling back. He smiles softly at you, before wiping the tears from your cheeks.

"Now, where's that lovely smile of yours, hm, darling?" You smile and blush gently as he says, "Much better."