Chapter 41 - Solo Mission

Start from the beginning

"I see, well perhaps you would like something to eat then?"

"Sure, thank you"

She begins to walk toward her house, a bag of fruit in her hands and some other villagers watching her movements closely, almost as if they were all weary of her. Kaito and i exchange glances as opens the door to her home, decorated in complete darkness. When she turns on the light, I notice the dust prominent around the bookshelves and desktops, almost like no one has been here for years.

"I apologize for the mess, I haven't gotten around to cleaning this place in a while. Now, what would you care to eat?"

"Anything is fine...thank you Ma'am"

As she moves to the stove, I gaze around the room, looking closely at my surroundings. Nothing in here particularly stands out, then again everything is covered in dust which makes it hard to analyze anything.

'3 windows, wooden door, chimney. All can be used as escape routes'

"I'm surprised you haven't asked about this house. Normally people would" she breaks the silence while continuously stirring soup in the pot.

"I didn't think it was my place to. But if you would like to talk about it" I pause, a taking a deep breath. "You can confine in me."

She smiles softly, stopping the stirring for a moment. "My husband died" she doesn't say much else for a little while, but continues. "He was a magic knight, and the reason this village prospered."

"May I ask how he died?"

Her breath hitches for a moment, but nevertheless, she answers. "A devil"

My eyes widen at her answer, while Kaito's narrow, his hand clutching tightly to the sketch the captain gave us. I tug on my sleeve, hiding the marking from her as she turns around, placing three bowls of soup on the table.

"Since then the village had to fend for themselves after that, the kids have been training their magic so they can become magic knights when they come of age. While for me, there's nothing I can really do. I'm a older women, and my magic is not nearly as powerful as it should be to become a magic knight."

"I'm sorry for your loss....I know what it feels like"

She smiles softly, handing me a spoon and begins to eat some of her soup. "I'm glad someone understands me at least."

We eat in silence for a while, and I sense the mana of others surrounding the house. Kaito and I exchange glances, then look at the women who just smiles softly and continues to eat.

"Ma'am...what is your magic?"

She stops, placing her spoon on the table and making eye contact with me. "Curse warding"

"So that's why..."

"Exactly. That's why the villagers look at me with such fear, because of my magic. They think I'm going to curse them" she finishes her meal, resting her chin on her hands. "You've asked a lot of questions magic knight. I don't even know your name"

"Ooh...it's y/n"

"Y/n...a beautiful name" she takes a deep breath. "Now, what's the real reason you came to this village?"

Kaito and I glance at each other, both nodding our heads. He hands her the piece of paper and she opens it, studying it closely.

"I was sent on a mission to find this. It's a key that some of the devil hosts from the spade kingdom want. The map we found on some treasure hoarders showed that it was here in this village."