Chapter 36 - Forgiveness

Who else cried watching today's episode? Just me? ok then....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, there were no warm rays to awaken me from my deep slumber. Instead, I open my eyes slowly, and sit up, feeling an odd sense of sickness in my stomach. Looking toward my clock, the time read 9am, yet I don't understand why I'm feeling this way. Letting out a low sigh, I slide out of bed carefully and cross out the previous day on my calendar.

Then it hits me

It's been a full year since I ran away from the heart kingdom

Meaning it's been a full year since my family died

'No wonder it felt gloomier than usual today'

The base is quieter today, almost no sound echoing through the halls as i get ready for the day in silence. Kaito who had chosen to stay in my grimoire isn't even out to greet me this morning. Staring at my reflection in the mirror, my figure seems to slump a bit, my eyes barely glowing, almost like I have no energy whatsoever. Clicking my tongue, I quickly throw on my cloak and grab my grimoire before swinging my door open, only to be greeted by a strong gust of wind that causes me to shiver. Leaves fall in front of the doorway causing me to stare down it it, drawn in my the color. The leaf has a hole in it straight in the middle as if someone stabbed it. The wind picks it up again, flowing outside the base. Letting out a sigh I turn back the other direction, only to bump into someone taller than me. 

"Oh Yuno, sorry" I mutter out, beginning to walk

"Is something wrong?" His question catches me slightly off guard, making my eyes widen a bit

"N-No not especially." I laugh nervously causing his eyes to narrow

"Captain wants to see you"

I nod and start walking to the Captain's office, Yuno following closely behind. After knocking on his door lightly and announcing my arrival, he lets me in and Yuno waits outside. I close the door behind me as I bow and continue to walk up to him.

"You wanted to see me Captain?"

He sends me a gentle smile and pats my head. "It's been almost a year since you've first arrived here Y/n. You've become a valuable asset to the kingdom's forced" I nod, trying my best to put on a smile but he sighs. "But I'm sure you already knew that didn't know?"

"Yes sir" I mutter out, eyes glued to the floor. 

"Gadjah has called for you from the Heart Kingdom, I'm sure he's aware of the day as well." 

I gulp down the lump in my throat and nod my head slowly. He places his hand on my shoulder, causing me to look up at him, his facial expression making me want to break down and cry,

'he's just like him'

"Losing your family is painful, even after a lot of time has passed. You don't have to hide your pain. Gadjah probably assumed you wanted to-"

"Visit their graves" I finish his sentence, earning a nod. "I do"

He nods and dismisses me shortly after, Yuno still waiting outside with a neutral expression. I give him a small smile and start walking down the hall in silence once again.

"Hey...Yuno?"

He hums in response as we both stop walking and look into each other's eyes. Taking a deep breath, I decide to ask. "Do you want to...visit the Heart Kingdom with me? It's just that..."

"It's almost been a year since you came here. Meaning it's been a year since you left the Heart Kingdom" he states flatly. "I know."

I bite my lip in anxiety, not expecting such a direct response to the matter. Yuno simply takes my hand and guides me out of the base, making an eagle using his wind magic and we begin flying toward the border. We fly over the trees of the forest into the Heart Kingdom and looking down at the green lands and tall trees, I'm reminded of the good old days.