Mom's last two boyfriends only lasted four and she even gave Brett a key to the house. It was more than unnecessary on the weekends to wake up to Brett skinny dipping in the pool with my mom.

So when Dad overheard about my pain, he was more than happy to invite me to stay with him and his Kelly. However, I found it a bit creepy to hangout with someone only three years older than I was, and who just passed legal drinking age, so I compromised and he agreed to let me continue school abroad.

Both my parents thought college to be a stupid choice in planning my future, but I came to find that it was the only way to escape. So one ticket and car ride later, I was packed and ready to go.

"Oh Brett, didn't see you there."

"Cassidy, be nice," Mom shot me a disapproving look as I rolled my eyes.

Brett towered above her, holding her against his chest with his arms warmly wound around her waist. He was a good ten years younger than my mom and I knew what their age difference meant.

But then again, I had never seen her so happy than when she was with Brett. He stuck around and treated her with respect, but for the love of God if he could just stop staring at his pecks for a moment, then we might be able to have a conversation.

He was wearing his usual attire of running sneakers, a gelled fohawk, t-shirt and shorts, and sunglasses. Brett definitely didn't stimulate intellectually, but that was sufficient for my mother. She seemed to really love him, and I just hoped that by the time I got back from school, they would still be together.

Whenever my mother got lonely, it never had a pretty result. From loading the pantry with every junk food imaginable to blaring Celine Dion out of her bedroom, I dreaded the times whenever my mother was single.

"Final Boarding Call for Flight 245."

I had to use every ounce of self-control within my lanky eighteen year old body to keep from jumping for joy. But then I saw Mom's eyes fall for just a moment and even Brett's perfectly sculpted complexion crease with sadness. I was leaving California, the place I've called home for all my life, to fly half-way around the world and start school.

It was different, it was new, it was uncharted territory. And I was terrified. Suddenly my fit of extraordinary excitement was dwindling and I felt my throat start to constrict. I was leaving, everything, and I suddenly felt so lost.

"Oh sweetie, now don't get that look."

I tried my best to smile but it just came across as a painfully twisted grin and Mom threw her arms around me.

"You're going to call me every day," She said, and then I remembered why I was leaving as I pulled back to shoot her an amused look.

She nodded, "okay, well maybe not every day, but at least three times a week - just so I know that you aren't hanging from your shower rod or gained thirty pounds."

"Yeah, watch out for those weird scones they might give you, sneaky bastards got calories everywhere" Brett piped in, Mom nodding along with him.

Alright, that fit of excitement to leave was starting to come back, and I squeezed Mom tightly in one last warm hug, " I promise."

"Bring it in!" Brett joined the mother-daughter embrace, squeezing me against his hardened chest. I hate to admit it, but I might just miss the dense muscle-head.

"Okay, okay. I gotta go!" I pulled back, sniffling as I gathered my things and took a deep breath. I walked to the gate, handing my ticket to the flight attendant. She scanned it quickly and gave me a perky smile through bright red lips, "Have a safe trip to the UK ma'am."

I nodded, "I hope so."

I turned back for a moment, looking to where my mom and Brett stood. She was giving it her best, but I could see the tears start to flow freely down her cheeks and Brett took off his sunglasses, giving me a light wave as he hugged her closer. I waved back, sucked in a swig of air and marched head-on through the gate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ma'am."

"No, don't go Brad. We were just getting started."

"Ma'am."

"Angelina doesn't have to know..."

"Ma'am!"

My eyes flew open as a violent jerk woke me abruptly. I craned my head groggily to the left and was met with a pair of angry, dull colored eyes. Looking up, I could see a rather annoyed flight attendant staring down at me. She had hair straight out of the eighties and bright pink lips. A gold pin was stuck to the strap of her navy blue apron, reading "Barbara."

"Sorry Barb," I mumbled as I tried to sit up.

"I need you to adjust your seat in the upright position ma'am. We're about to land at Heathrow."

I nodded stupidly, still half-asleep. It was a ten hour flight after all and I took out my phone to look at my reflection. Ugh, half of my hair was matted and stuck out at odd, unattractive angles.

Barb turned to hand a passenger across from me a diet soda and I tried fumbling with my seat belt to sit up. The damned thing was jammed and as I finally got it to give way, a harsh blow to my head was received. I shot upright, grabbing the back of my throbbing head with both my hands, "Shit!"

It hurt like hell and I gritted my teeth as I watched Barb sashay mightily down the isle with her cart.

"I'd like to see-" I hissed lowly, turning to find a rather chunky man dressed in a 'Got Milk?' t-shirt sat beside me. He grinned at me from behind his double-chin and I gave an awkward wave with one hand. Glancing beyond him through the window, I smiled as the ant-like buildings and bustling streets of London began to grow larger as we descended.

I was finally here, this was really happening. I was going to start new, focus on my studies, and I knew that everything would be fine.

"On holiday?"

I blinked from my daydream of skipping down London Bridge and turned to Mr. Butterfingers beside me.

"Oh, no. College."

His eyebrows rose as he nodded, giving me an interested nod, "Ah yes, university. A great time."

He was British, and I smiled suddenly, pleased to finally meet one, "You're coming home?"

"Yes, was in the states visiting some family. But I love it here. Always been home."

I don't know why, but his tone and grin reassured me that this was the right move. That London was where I was meant to be and I was going to make the best of it.

"Yeah, it already feel like home for me too."