CHAPTER 5

The sounds of laughter fill the house in the early morning of the next day.

Laura is busying herself to prepared breakfast for the day while her children running around getting ready for school.

Clint has been helping to help his children getting ready by waking them up and bathe Nathaniel.

The couple decided not to bother Alex and let him rest for the day, but it seems the boy has something else on his thought.

Instead of locking himself in his room, Alex gets himself ready for the day and walk downstairs.

An unusual scene played in front of him, and there are whole Bartons' members sitting around the table, busying themselves with their breakfast.

He silently watches from the stairs as Cooper shoving his toast, much to his sister disproval.

Lila merely rolls her eyes at him at goes to eat hers, only for the boy to smirk mischievously, and in a blink, he stole her portions of bacon and shove them into his mouth.

That how the two started having another rundown on the early morning with Laura scolding voice echoing the house.

While the Bartons' couple tried to separate the wrestling duo, Nat, who left with his part of the food, silently ate, but a soft movement caught his attention, making him glance over the stair.

Seeing Alex standing near the wall, he flashed the older boy his baby teeth and called as he forgot the last incident. "Alec!!" He made grabby motions with his hands as he wishes to be picked up by the older boy.

Nat's exclamation seems to gain the other's attention as everyone froze from whatever they're doing and glance over where the teenage stood.

Upon realizing all attention is now on him, Alex starts fidgeting, regretting his decision to come down.

As if sensing his nervousness, Laura is the first to break the silence and gently greet him. "Good morning. Do you sleep well?"

Everyone can fully see that Alex does his best to avoid eye contacts with her, but none of them dares to say anything about it, especially after what happened the other night.

"M-morning. I do, kind of." The boy tries his best to muster a smile and try to look into her eyes while doing it but failed.

"Since you are up, why done have some bite with us." Clint state, picking Cooper up and move him away from his sister, not wanting the two having another fight, not that they are in the mood. "The bacon was home-made. You should try them."

"I-um, I-sure." Stuttering to search for any other words to says, he ends up accepting his father's invitation.

With that, the whole Barton is complete but with some change of seats.

At the end of the table, Clint sits on his usual spot; on his left side is Laura and Nat in his high-chair between them. On Laura's other side is Lila, and right in front of her is Cooper, who sits beside Alex.

The older boy did take a few bites of his part, but he couldn't raise his head to meet any of the opposite sex's eyes, either Laura's or Lila's.

Just as Cooper, who been frowning at Alex's action about to ask it out, he was meet with a kick to his shin, making the boy jump, which causes Alex to jump after him.

"That's hurt!" Cooper yells.

Lila glared at him, warning the younger boy to lower his voice, but it seems that Cooper wasn't getting her meaning as he about to climb over the table to attack her, only to have Alex stopping him by placing his palm over the boy's chest.