Fourth Year

"Artemis," Thomas caught her gaze across the empty table, then turned his gaze to her twin, "Apollo."

Agniya was nervously kneading bread in the kitchen. Artemis could see her mother's hands shake as she wiped them on her new yellow apron.

"Before we leave for the station, we need to talk."

Artemis felt her stomach turn to lead. Her father had never been able to pull off stern. He was happy and loving and never hard. That morning he looked grim.

"There was a Death Eater demonstration at the Quidditch World Cup this year. Tensions will be running high this year. There are whispers throughout the Ministry that there may be a resurgence in dark activity. I want the two of you to be careful. In their eyes, you're as good as Mudblood," Agniya's hands stilled at the use of the word Mudblood, "no one has the right to hurt you because of who you are, but you also don't need to take unnecessary risks. Do you understand?"

Apollo and Artemis nodded, but her ears were ringing.

Unnecessary risks. She knew what he was saying. Don't draw attention. Don't pick fights. Only be on the defensive, not offensive. Don't wander the halls at night. Don't go into the dungeons without a friend.

"In a quiet lagoon, devils dwell," Agniya whispered solemnly before she began to viciously knead the dough as if her life depended on it.

Thomas smiled sadly at his children. It was clear that he never wanted to expose them to the prejudices he'd faced during the First Wizarding War, but something was brewing. With what he'd seen, she trusted his instincts implicitly.

That's what scared her.

"Weasley, if you know anything, we have to know," Emma whined with large, pleading eyes, "I won't tell a soul

"Weasley, if you know anything, we have to know," Emma whined with large, pleading eyes, "I won't tell a soul. I just need to know the gossip. Did Potter put — "

Ginny, Emma, and Artemis were lazing through their Sunday in a sunny spot in the library, pestering the youngest of their trio for information on Harry Potter and how he managed to secure a spot in the Triwizard Tournament. It was called the Triwizard tournament for a reason, after all.

"I don't know!" Ginny's cheeks were flaming red, "I don't know anything about Harry!"

Emma and Artemis shared catlike grins, and the interrogation switched topic, "Harry is it? Do you know him well, Gin?" Artemis's cheeks hurt from smiling, "does he visit your brother during the summer and walk around with his hair all messy and those glasses askew, just asking for you to — "

"Shut up!" Ginny hissed, hiding her face under her arms.

Artemis cackled.

After spending the ride from Hogsmeade Station to Platform 9 3/4 at the end of the last year, it had become apparent to the two older girls that Ginny Weasley was lovely and in desperate need of friends. So they were happy to volunteer. Apparently, most students in her year steered clear of her after the incident with the Chamber of Secrets during her first year. They thought she was cursed.