A Remedy to Cure All Ills

Start from the beginning

Uther, Gaius, Silas and Arthur enter the Council Chamber making Edwin drop to one knee and hand Uther a roll of parchment "Edwin Muirden, Sire. Physician and loyal servant." he introduces himself. "Welcome to Camelot." Uther says taking the parchment. "Have we met before?" Gaius asks. "I doubt you would forget a face like mine, sir." Edwin responds. "Do you really believe you have a remedy?" Uther asks. "There are not many ills that I have not seen and successfully treated, Sire. So when I heard of the Lady Morgana's sickness, I felt honour bound to offer my services." Edwin tells him. "You say you have a cure for all? An antidote for everything?" Gaius asks him. "Yes. Although it is not quite as simple as that." Edwin explains. "Gaius is the court physician." Uther tells him. "You are indeed a legend, sir. I am delighted to meet you. I am curious to know what it is that has affected her." Edwin says. "An infection of the brain." Gaius informs him. "And your treatment?" Edwin asks. "Yarrow." Gaius starts. "Yes, yes." Edwin agrees. "Rosemary to stimulate cerebral circulation." Gaius continues. "Interesting." Edwin comments. "Why? What would you suggest?" Arthur asks. "No, no, no, that is all fine. All good. If that is... the right diagnosis." Edwin says. "What would your diagnosis be?" Uther asks. "Well, without examining the patient..." Edwin trails off. "He should examine her." Arthur says making Silas shuffle uncomfortably, getting a bad feeling from the man. "I would need my equipment." Edwin says. "Of course. You'll have use of one of the guest chambers." Uther tells him. "And consider my manservant at your disposal." Arthur adds. "I will start work immediately." Edwin bows.

Silas stands at the foot of Morgana's bed while they all wait for Edwin, when he does arrive Merlin is following him carrying a stack of boxes "Put my equipment over there. Sire, I would be grateful if you could have everyone leave the room. I require peace and privacy." Edwin tells Uther. "Certainly." Uther nods. "That includes you, Gaius." Edwin comments. "But I am eager to learn from your methods." Gaius tells him. "Now is not the time for giving instruction. I will need all my concentration." Edwin responds. "Gaius..." Uther says making the physician turn and follow everyone out.

Silas stands biting his thumb nail as they all wait for Edwin to leave Morgana's chambers, soon Edwin walks down the stairs "Great news, Your Majesty. You will be glad to hear it is not an inflammation of the brain." he tells everyone. "What is it then?" Uther asks. "It is cerebral haemorrhage." Edwin responds. "Haemorrhage? I don't think so." Gaius says. "I found this trace of blood in her ear." Edwin says showing them the bloody cloth. "God in heaven." Uther remarks. "The severity depends upon the site and volume of the bleed. If not treated, it can lead to coma, and eventually death." Edwin explains. "How could you have missed this?" Uther asks Gaius. "I didn't see any blood." Gaius tells him. "Please. Just thank the fates that you did not administer more rosemary to stimulate the circulation. Can you imagine what that might have done?" Edwin asks making Uther turn to Gaius for explanation. "It may have increased the bleed." Gaius explains. "Is there a cure?" Uther asks Edwin. "See for yourself." Edwin says motioning to the stairs. Everyone rushes upstairs to Morgana's chambers to find her sitting up in bed "Morgana, this is truly a miracle." Uther smiles before kissing her forehead "I thought... I really thought..." he trails off. "Oh, you won't get rid of me that easily." Morgana smiles. "What exactly did he give you?" Gaius asks. "I have no idea. But thank heaven he did." Morgana responds.

Later on Silas stands training with Arthur when he suddenly feels a weird sensation run over him making him stop "Silas?" Arthur asks concerned

Later on Silas stands training with Arthur when he suddenly feels a weird sensation run over him making him stop "Silas?" Arthur asks concerned. "W-what?" Silas responds. "You alright?" Arthur asks. "Y-yeah I think so. Just a weird feeling." Silas responds with a smile. "We can stop training if you want." Arthur tells him. "Stop? What, scared you're going to lose?" Silas smiles. "Oh is that so?" Arthur asks. "Yeah, it is." Silas smirks before they start sparring again. Later on Merlin joins them as Silas practices with one of the dummies. As he trains as he listens to Merlin and Arthur talk "I can't understand why Uther would sack him over one mistake." Merlin comments, talking about Uther firing Gaius. "A mistake that nearly killed Morgana. Besides, it wasn't the only one." Arthur responds. "What do you mean?" Silas asks, his interest being pulled. "Edwin said his work was riddled with errors." Arthur responds. "That's nonsense." Merlin says making Silas nod in agreement. "No one wants Gaius to go, but my father's made his decision. There's nothing anyone can do." Arthur says before leaving them. Silas sighs and runs a hand through his hair "Come on lets go back to the castle." he says putting his sword back on the table to be put away later.

That evening Silas walks with Merlin along the corridor when Arthur comes running over from behinf them "Silas! Merlin! Father has Morgana's illness! We must find Edwin!" he exclaims

That evening Silas walks with Merlin along the corridor when Arthur comes running over from behinf them "Silas! Merlin! Father has Morgana's illness! We must find Edwin!" he exclaims. Silas and Merlin nod and go to check Edwin's chambers, finding Gaius surrounded by a ring of fire "What are you doing?" Merlin asks. "He was trying to kill the King. I couldn't let him." Gaius explains. "I can rule the kingdom now. And with you, Merlin, at my side, we can be all-powerful." Edwin tells the dark haired boy. "Release him!" Silas shouts. "It's your loss, Merlin." Edwin says as Merlin glares at him. Edwin uses his magic to throw an axe at Merlin, Silas stops it "You have magic." Edwin realises. Silas glares at him "Let Gaius go!" he shouts. Edwin ignores him "Swilte, Silas, Merlin." he says trying to use his magic to kill the friends. Merlin and Silas use their magic and combine it to overpower Edwin's, Merlin sends the axe back to Edwin killing him and making the flames disappear. "Are you alright?" Merlin asks Gaius. "Yes. Thank you Merlin. You too Silas." Gaius responds. Merlin fetches a box "What are you doing?" Gaius asks. "Father's ill; the same thing Morgana had." Silas explains. "Edwin said he used these to cure Morgana. Maybe we can too." Merlin adds showing them the beetles in the box. "Elanthia beetles?" Silas questions making Gaius nod in response. "They're magical?" Merlin asks. "Yes. They can be enchanted to enter the brain, feed on it until they devour the person's very soul. We must going to him." Gaius explains. Silas' eyes widen as he leads the other two out of the room.

The three of them enter Uther's chambers to find him lying in his bed "How do we get the beetle out before it kills him?" Merlin asks. "It can only be magic." Gaius responds. "We can't use magic on Uther, he'd kill us." Merlin responds. "We don't have a choice." Gaius tells them. Silas bites his lip "There are times when it is necessary. It is your right." Gaius tells them. "I don't know how." Merlin responds. "Neither do I." Silas adds. "If you don't, he's going to die." Gaius responds. Merlin sits on the bed and places his hands over Uther's ears "Bebeode þe arisan ealdu. Áblinnen." he casts. Silas watches from the side "What's happening?" he asks. Merlin pulls his hands back showing them the still bug in his cupped hand "Has anyone ever told you, you're a genius?" Gaius asks as Merlin stands. "You certainly haven't." Merlin smiles. "Don't let it go to your head. You'll end up like Arthur." Silas jokes.

The next morning Silas stands next to Arthur as author gives Gaius an award "I, my family, and my kingdom are deeply indebted to you

The next morning Silas stands next to Arthur as author gives Gaius an award "I, my family, and my kingdom are deeply indebted to you. And in honour of this, I not only reinstate you as court physician, but henceforth, you are a free man of Camelot." Uther announces handing Gaius a roll of parchment, the court applauding as Gaius smiles.