XXI

CHAN felt absolutely terrible. He was in pain, he was sad and he was angry. Stupid Korea and their stupid homophobic rules! Why couldn't he just live in peace?

When Chan broke off everything between him and Felix, the younger sobbed in his arms for over an hour, begging Chan to take all his words back.

It took all inside of Chan to stay firm to his decision and not succumb to Felix's pleas. Chan kissed him for the last time yesterday before leaving Felix all by himself at the porch.

But Chan cried in his room too. The whole night. Minho kept him some company for a while but left in the morning.

Seungmin was avoiding Chan at all costs and had asked his superiors to remove him from the post of being Chan's butler, making him Minho's instead. His request was granted.

Felix decided to continue to work in the castle for two reasons.

One, the pay was enough to keep him and his mother financially stable since he was no longer a sous chef anymore and had gotten a promotion.

Two, he would at least get to see the face of the love of his life every day, content in knowing Chan was alive and happy.

"I hate that you're like this."

"Like what?" Felix frowns at Seungmin who scoffs in return.

"The way you still care about him after what he did to you," Seungmin says making Felix sigh.

"Seungmin, it's not his fault and you know that. He..." Felix takes a deep breath. "He just did what was best for both of us."

"By leaving you? By breaking your heart?" Seungjin retorts making Felix shut his eyes at the raise in the other's voice.

"Please stop, Min. I know you're angry," Felix speaks. "Maybe.... this is for the best. Maybe we weren't meant to be at all."

"No! Chan should have done better! If he really loved you, he would have made this work, Felix," Seungmin answers, and Felix could clearly see the anger in the younger's eyes.

"Seungmin," Felix says in a monotone voice. "He was supposed to get married to princess Changmi anyway. With me out of the way, it'll be easier for him."

"I hate that you're so considerate and never think about your own well-being!" Seungmin shouts and Felix had had enough.

"I know you care about me, okay? I didn't want this either but I love him enough to let him go," Felix wipes away a tear from his eyes, he hadn't even realized that he was crying. "If he's happy then I'm happy and I'll forever treasure the love we shared."

"Felix... I'm sorry. You don't deserve this at all," Seungmin's voice becomes raspy and Felix guessed that his best friend was about to cry as well. Felix pulls Seungmin into a tight hug and they both cry into each other's shoulders.

"Why are y-you crying? I'm the one who went through a b-break-up," Felix mumbles into Seungmin's shoulder and his best friend just chuckles in response.

"Don't you remember?" Seungmin asks. "When we were kids, whenever you would cry, I would cry along with you. I don't know why but I always did."