Chapter 29: The Slated Desire

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AutumnKissedRoses
I'm only posting this chapter today because I've been planning it for a while
Hope you like it!
~

The next morning, Adaline visited Stefan without sneaking. She walked in without any fear and when the Princess opened the door, she allowed her in without any sneers. Stefan had made it very clear that he wanted Adaline's presence. He dismissed everyone who argued with him.

Stefan was still asleep when she entered the room. Maria went out for a walk and left them alone. She wouldn't trust Adaline when it came to her family and home, but she would trust her with her country. Both of them were fighting for it. She understood that after talking to her brother.

Adaline looked around the room. It was quite spacious. Sunlight filled the room quite well. It was hard not to think of 'goldilocks' when she saw Stefan sleeping soundly. She walked towards him and looked at his peaceful face.

She had brought this on him. She may not have handed him the poison, but she was responsible all the same. "I'm so sorry, Stefan."

Three words. That's all that she wanted to tell him.

She was sorry for many things. She was sorry for hurting him, hurting his feelings, making him a more target than he was and so much more.

Adaline kissed his forehead. She was sorry. She wasn't going to hurt him anymore. She had made it very clear that they could not happen the way they wanted to. She couldn't tell him that she felt the same way towards him.

That evening, the Darkling had requested her for a walk around the perimeter. She had told him that she felt guilty for accusing him. "I'm not this person. I don't judge people so easily. But after everything that happened, I could only come to one solution. Why didn't you tell me earlier? Why didn't Freya?"

"I asked her not to."

"Of course you did." She brushed her fingers through her hair, which was not like her to do.

" She brushed her fingers through her hair, which was not like her to do

"I wish we could have met under different circumstances."

Adaline's head jerked up. Had she heard him right? "I....what?"

The Darkling smiled. He smiled for the first time in a really long time. It felt like eternity to him but a thousand rays of sunshine to Adaline. He looked very human when he smiled. She thought that it was one of his best qualities.

"I wish you weren't so broody all the time." She blurted out. Her eyes opened wide, her mouth fell open. "Oh, I didn't mean....I mean-"

"I like you, Adaline." The Darkling said. She looked so perplexed, it made him scared about what he was going to reveal to her. "I have....for a while now."

She let out a huge breath. "You have a good way of showing it."

He chuckled. "I'm not used to these feelings."