Chapter 14: The Announcement

After lunch got over, there was a rush of excitement among the Grisha in the room. It was hard not to pay attention to it because of the squeals from the younger Grisha. "What's going on?" Adaline asked Freya as they stood talking to each other.

"I don't know. The King has something to announce. At least that's what I heard from one of the servants."

Adaline's jaw set tight. What could he possibly announce at that time? She had managed to go through half a day without drawing suspicion on herself. If the King had found out about her trying to escape, she would have to face the Darkling again. She groaned mentally thinking about that interaction. She knew exactly how that could go.

"We are supposed to gather in the Grand Palace in a few minutes."

And so, Adaline and the Grisha made their way to the Grand Palace, talking the entire way about what it was that could have them gather together. The castle was just as bad as she had seen the first time, but why did some parts look familiar? This was the castle that gave her the feeling of nostalgia but she had never been in Os Alta before. Had she dreamt about the curving overhead banners or the painted doves on the handles of doors? Had she thought about them and was going through deja vu?

"Is everything okay?" One of the Grisha next to her asked.

"Y-yeah," she replied, but couldn't shake off the nostalgic feeling.

Everyone was waiting for the royals to enter the room and decided to make small talk with each other. Members of the army had also gathered but once again, her father wasn't one of them. Disappointment surged through her once again but she was only human. Adaline went to stand with the Etherealki and smiled at Irina, who was just as concerned as her. Her eyes searched for Carolyn but she knew that the Grisha wouldn't have told on her, but the instinct was still there.

Adaline's eyes searched the room once again because she wanted to prove herself wrong but her concentration changed when she saw the man from that morning at the other end of the room, making conversation with a couple of guards. She noticed that they were the same guards who allowed them back into the compound without asking any questions. "Irina, who is that?" She pointed to him.

"Oh my Saints." She stifled a gasp. "I heard gossip that he was back but I didn't realise that...."

"Well, who is he?"

The royal guards broke out the sound of the trumpets to announce the arrival of the King and the Queen along with the Princess. They walked in hand in hand and sat on their thrones. The entire palace seemed to quiet as the Darkling entered the room after them. "Good morning everyone," spoke the King. "I'm very happy to announce that we have a newcomer in the palace with us."

Adaline blended with the crowd and seemed to hide herself in the shadows. Her eyes searched for goldilocks and found him walking towards the dais. He stood beside the King and smiled at the crowd gathered. 

Irina looked at Adaline with a huge smile on her face, clearly waiting for the dramatic effect. "That's Stefan Lantsov, the Prince of Ravka."

"