14

Navy's shoulders sunk, and it was as if she could feel the world fade away in front of her. She felt helpless, small, and forgotten about.

''It started a year ago, and it wasn't... It wasn't supposed to happen. None of us planned it. It just—''

''When?'' Navy whispered as he looked down at her. There were flashes of hurt in his eyes, ''Exactly when did it start? When did you start to... care for her like that?''

Theodore hesitated at first, but he could feel the pain as it radiated off of her. He'd hurt her enough. This had to stop now. It wasn't fair to keep this going.

''The night of your birthday.''

Her heart stopped. She felt the tears sting in the corner of her eyes, but she refused to close them. She kept them open because she knew that she wouldn't be able to stop crying if she did.

''Why?'' She managed to breathe out, her eyes dragged over the world in front of her, ''Why did you do this to me?''

''As I said,'' Theodore cut her off, ''It wasn't supposed to happen, it just... I was so fucking out of it, and you disappeared. Clara kept giving me drinks, and the next thing I knew — I woke up next to...''

He swallowed, clearing his throat after, ''Her.''

Theo could see how much that hurt her, how much her bones caved within.

Yet, she was still too kind — too kindhearted to even show it. All she did was nod while her world crumbled around her.

''And then?'' Navy whispered again, slowly dragging her knees up to her chest, ''What happened then? Why did you keep doing it?''

Theodore looked at her again, noticing how the muscle in her jaw ticked, ''And then... I fell in love with you.''

Her head snapped to face his breaking stare, ''Why would you say that?'' Her eyes narrowed in his, ''How could you even try—''

''Let me finish, please.'' Theodore pleaded. His teeth gritted as he sought to tame the fleeing temper,

''Just let me speak.''

''Then speak.'' Navy fired back, shaking her head at him.

The wind danced through her hair as she focused on keeping her head straight. She didn't want to give in or to give up with this.

''This wasn't about you or anything you did. Never think that. This was about me—''

Navy huffed, her head tilted to face him again.

''I should've told you, but it was right in the beginning. I wasn't sure of where we stood, and Clara didn't want to tell you. I wanted to, believe me. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt you.''

Her veins ached as she folded her arms around her knees, hugging herself, ''Then why didn't you? Why did you give your trust to her and not me?''

Theodore stilled, his fingers hastily curled up to fists, and his knuckles turned white, ''I don't know.'' He whispered.

He was angry with himself.

''Because I would've listened to you, I think... I think I even would have forgiven you, Theo. I know we weren't a couple, but you didn't tell me. You chose to listen to her instead of giving me a chance.'' Navy's words scored right through him.

He stayed quiet, and she could almost see tears in his eyes.

''And then?'' She asked, ''How did it happen again?''

Theodore released the tight grip of his hands as he stroked the grass they were seated on, ''And then, it didn't happen until you left me that night in our common room—''