Dates to the Ball

Começar do início

"It's going fine," I told him, holding my temper. I know it may be hard for him, but I was pissed.

"Oh, well if you need anything, I'd be happy to help," He said.

"Athena is helping, but thank you," I said in a clipped tone. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go."

Before he could say anything, I turned and headed towards Ben.

"Hi, Ben, can I talk to you for a second?" I asked Ben who immediately stood up once he noticed me.

"Of c-course," he said coming up to me, "What d-do you need?"

I smiled and led him away from his friends so they wouldn't hear me.

"Do you have a date to the dance?" I asked him.

"No, I-I don't," he said.

"Well, I don't either. So, I was wondering if we could go together. As friends," I added the last bit, so he doesn't get the wrong idea. He's a nice guy, but I just don't feel any sparks.

"R-r-really? W-what about M-Malfoy?" he asked.

"What about him?" I asked.

"H-h-he said you're g-going t-together," he said.

"He said WHAT?!" I yelled, attracting the attention of some people around us. Ben noticed, too.

"H-he overh-heard J-Jack S-sta-ark f-from H-Hufflep-p-puff p-planing t-to a-ask you, a-and to-told h-him t-to b-back off-f," Ben was a stuttering mess and I realized I just scared him.

"I'm sorry Ben, I didn't mean to yell and make you nervous," I apologized, "It's just that I'm not going with that ass."

"I-It's alr-right, a-and I would l-love to go w-with you." he said.

"Great. Thanks, Ben. See you later then," I smiled at him and left even though I was fuming from what I just found out. Athena was right. Malfoy scared the boys away. Thank god it didn't reach Remus or any of the boys. It would start unnecessary trouble.

Athena's POV

After spending some time in the astronomy tower, Sirius and I went to the Great Hall for dinner hand in hand. Lily and Angie were already there.

"Hello, girls," I said, taking my seat beside Lily, "Where are the rest?"

"Caroline went looking for Ben, as for the boys, we don't know. They were looking for Black, though. Something about a new prank," Lily said.

"Why is Caroline looking for Ben?" Sirius asked.

Before I could reply, Caroline sat in front of me, looking glum.

"Hey, Care, is everything alright?" I asked.

"Everything is great. Perfect. Lovely," she said sarcastically.

Lily and I looked at each other. This is not good. Caroline is usually more composed and calmer.

"Hello, everyone. Padfoot where have you been? We were looking all over for you," said James as he took his seat next to Lily.

"I was with Athena. We needed some alone time," Sirius said wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"B-but, I had a new prank in mind," James pouted. He looked like a kid.

"Oh, for heaven's sake you can discuss that at any time. Leave them alone a bit," Angie said.

"They were alone, now our turn," said James.

"Oh, no, you have him every day. He's mine tonight," I said, messing with him. Sirius wrapped his other arm around me now, holding me closer when I said that. That sounded wrong.

"Nope, mine," James pouted, "right, Pads?"

"My lady said that she wants me tonight. Who am I to deny?" he answered him and kissed my cheek.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake, everyone here is still single, stop being so... adorable... both of you," said Angie said and I blushed.

"Not single for long. My Lily here is going with me, you're going with someone, and Peter is going with someone," James said.

"A date to a ball doesn't mean we are in a relationship or that we will automatically get in one, Potter," Lily told him.

"Oh, come on, flower, you know we are meant to be," he told her with a wink, and she returned it with a glare.

"She's right. Henry and I are going as friends. It means nothing and I made sure he knows it," Angie said.

"What about you, Caroline, got a date the dance?" James asked Caroline. I noticed him giving Remus a quick glance.

"Yes, I'm going with Ben," Caroline said. I noticed Remus stiffen.

"The Ravenclaw? Oh, come on, you can do way better," Sirius scoffed. I elbowed him in the ribs.

"He's a good guy, Sirius." She said, "Better than half the boys in Hogwarts."

"He's a stuttering mess, there are other guys in the good half," he said.

"He was born with it! He can't control it, and there is nothing wrong with a stutter and it doesn't make him any different. What's it to you, anyway, Black?" she asked. She was already pissed when she came and now, she called Sirius by his last name. Caroline rarely calls people by their last names.

"Sirius, back off. She's upset about something else," I whispered to him before he could answer and say something stupid.

"Calm down, Care, he was merrily voicing his opinion because he thinks highly of you and thinks you deserve better. But we didn't know that Ben was born with a stutter, sorry" James said, trying to stop an argument from breaking.

"Well, he should keep his opinion to himself. No one better asked me," Caroline retorted.

At that, Remus stood up and left the hall.